Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Operator error with Benelli?

hoytwt

I was at a match this weekend shooting an all shotgun stage when I broke the #1 rule with the M2, I ran it dry. I use the load two method, and Instead of chambering a round before loading, I closed the bolt and proceeded to attempt loading 4 rounds to finish the stage.

As I tried loading the first two rounds, the first round got stuck halfway between the lifter and the mag tube. I know the bolt has to be closed on the gun to be able to load, so is it possible the bolt wasn't closing all the way since I didnt chamber a round?

I have seen some of the gunsmiths that work on the benelli"s advertise an out-of-battery loading modification. Would this mod be what I need to be able to load with the bolt slightly open?

I have seen some of the gunsmiths that work on the benelli"s advertise an out-of-battery loading modification. Would this mod be what I need to be able to load with the bolt slightly open?

Yep

You will still need to rack it to get it to fire so, rack,load & fire.

Benny, I think he is talking about the jam where the lifter is stuck against the bolt and the round is half way loaded and creasing because the lifter can't get out of the way. It only happened to me once before I did the mod, but IIRC, you can't always rack the bolt to free the shell (due to the radius of the factory cut wanting to force the lifter down as the bolt comes back), but I may be wrong.

Yes the round was pushing up too hard on the lifter and wouldn't allow the bolt to close all the way slamming on the bolt handle. I'm going to have to get the mod done because it was a mess trying to get the stuck shell out. What should have been a 15 second or less stage turned into 58 seconds. Thanks for the replies.

This was the very first of the Benelli Mods I figured out in 96, when the exact same thing happened to me on a stage at the S.O.F. match. That very night we stripped it down and figured out what had to be done. A few minutes with a Dremel and a cut off wheel and it hasn't happened since!

Edited to add, NO you do NOT cut the tab on the lifter on M1/M2/M4!!! That is how you have to do it on a Nova. But don't touch the lifter on M1/M2/M4!!!!

Edited by kurtm

This was the very first of the Benelli Mods I figured out in 96, when the exact same thing happened to me on a stage at the S.O.F. match. That very night we stripped it down and figured out what had to be done. A few minutes with a Dremel and a cut off wheel and it hasn't happened since!

Edited to add, NO you do NOT cut the tab on the lifter on M1/M2/M4!!! That is how you have to do it on a Nova. But don't touch the lifter on M1/M2/M4!!!

Do what the godfather of three gun tells you to do and don't question it.