Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burn Rate Chart

AWLAZS

I am looking at all of the different powders on the market to select a new load. I know there is lots of information about fast and slow propellents. I have looked at a burn rate chart where powders are listed fast to slow. Is there a chart that shows how much the difference actually is between them?

No because those charts are for general reference. Each powder will burn differently in different cases, volumn of load and bullet weight.

I would only use a burn rate chart as a general guide and then look at reloading data to see how it reacts in a particular cartridge with a particular bullet weight.

I understand that I would not want to use just the burn rate to decide on a load. I was told to try a slower powder. I have been using WAP. Once I started looking at what every one else is using and compared it to WAP on the chart they are six or seven places away. I was wondering what the actual difference is.

As mentioned above, charts are REALLY general in their placement of powders.

Two places could be exactly the same powder, or a huge difference.

The two powders could even change places in different types of loads.

I would be willing to bet that someone around here could give you some guidance if they knew what your load was....

Travis F.

Guest Larry Cazes

As others have already stated, since the burn rates of smokeless powders vary with pressure and temperature, use the burn rate chart as a general reference. I use them to pick powders to try based on their relative burn rates but always start close to the manufacturers published starting load and work up carefully in small increments using a chronograph. Since most manufacturers produce powders that cover the full spectrum of burn rates, pick the manufacturer that you trust and like and use their rate chart to find a slower powder to try. When I am looking for a new load, I almost always try at least 2 powders to find the one I like best. As long as you start low and work up using a chronograph, you can't get into to too much trouble. I favor Hodgdon and Winchester powders and have not had any trouble finding suitable loads from those 2 for all of the calibers that I load for, both rifle and pistol. I have picked these 2 based on how well their powders typically meter, pricing, and availability. I use Winchester WST for 40SW and 45ACP and Hodgdon HS6 for .38super. For rifle loads I use Varget for both .308win and .22-250. Powder choice is not an exact science.

OK then look at a reloading manual for each of the powders. If the charge weight is about the same and gives nearly the same velocity for the weight of the charge they burn about the same. If the charge weight is less for the same velocity it burns faster. If the charge weight is more for the same velocity it burns slower. Use that again as a general rule/reference because NOTHING is cut in stone.

I have a Caspian 38 super. Benny Hill just lightened up the slide put two holes in the barrel and put a new comp on with some big holes compared to my old one. He suggested 10.5 of HS7 and a 115 jhp. He said it should make the comp and ports work real well. I am just looking at what other people are using. This does not seem to be popular. I want the gun to shoot flat and have the dot stay predictable. I will be trying the HS7 out tomorrow.

Thanks

Guest Larry Cazes

I like Hodgdon powders in general and have been shooting 9.1 grains of HS6 and a 115gr MGJHP Gives just about 172pf and flat shooting. I will be trying out some loads with a pound of HS7 I just picked up and will let you know how it works out.

I just tried HS7 10.5 and made a 155 power factor with a 115. I guess I will work it up a bit.

How did you like the hs6.

Is it much faster then the 7?

Do I hear people not thinking the 115 is good?

Guest Larry Cazes

I have been using HS6 for mine and my wife's 38supercomp open guns for about 3 months now with both 115 and 124 grain montana gold JHPs. I load to 172pf for both bullet weights. My gun has an older but more efficient Harts comp, which works well with the 124s, and my wifes EGW comp shoots flatter with the 115s. I have been using Hodgdon powders for years and like them a lot. They are also cheap and widely available both locally and through mail order sources. I will be chrono'ing some HS7 with 124s this weekend and will post my observations.

Guest Larry Cazes

Worked up a load today using HS7 in 38supercomp brass, 124 grain MG JHPs, OAL 1.235, winchester SRP. This powder leaves much more unburnt powder everywhere then when using HS6. Even at 180pf it was pretty dirty, not looking very promising. The barrel used is a KART .355 bore with an EGW 5 port compensator.

Based on the limited amount of shooting I did today with HS7, it was quite dirty, very blasty and loud, and hit my hand pretty hard as well. Not much flatter then HS6 with 124s either. Looks like I will be staying with HS6 for now.