Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Primer Indexing Problems

I got my 650 back in November and the primer indexing arm has always hung up to where I have to use my finger to push it forward so it drops into the hole in the primer plate. I have read and tried every tip on fixing the problem, talked to Dillon who sent me another wavy washer to try, cleaned, lubed, replaced the indexing arm and spring, and even tried switching to small primers to see if it was the large primer plate that was perhaps warped. Still having the same problem and nothing left to replace or try. Does anyone here have any ideas on what might be causing this issue or suggestions on something new to try?

Thanks,

Ron

A couple of suggestions. 1 - Did u replace the return spring on the Arm (13965) ? That can cause your problem. 2 - I once over tightened the primer system, which caused the primer disc pin to drag on the bottom of the mount (This was also aggravated becasue of some brass shaving that I found in the bottom). This caused the primer indexing arm sometimes not to return to the next slot.

Thanks for the replies. I have replaced the return spring, indexing arm, wavy washer, cleaned, lubed, adjusted the bolt tightness and everything else I can think of. I thought at first it was the large primer disk since it would only stick about 2/3 of the way around each time. I was hoping when I switched it over to the small primer disk the problem would go away but now it sticks every single time. One thing I just read while searching forums was to try polishing the bottom of the indexing arm that rides on the primer plate. I guess I will try it and see what happens. If that doesn't do it, I am going to try and convince Dillon to send me a new priming system and see if that solves it. I don't think there is much else I can do.

Ron

I had troubles with my 650 not indexing properly occasionally (primer plate would advance, and then get pulled backwards to where it started, by the indexing arm) until I filed and stoned the sharp edges, and rough bottom, of the indexing arm. Smoothing the index arm out seems to have eliminated the problem of the primer plate catching on the indexing arm as the indexing arm resets itself, as the 650 seems to now be operating with 100% reliability.

The indexing arm appears to be a stamped piece of sheet metal. and mine was pretty rough before I smoothed it out.

John

I have flipped the primer disk as well as checked it for flatness and rough spots. I am going to try and polish the indexing arm next and see what happens. As soon as I have time I will post the results. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ron

Mystery solved! I ordered a second priming system from Dillon so I could see if it functioned correctly and if there were any differences. Nice thing is I ordered on Monday and got it today! The first thing I noticed was how much stiffer the return spring for the indexing arm was so I took both of them out and they were different. My press came with the wrong spring on the indexing arm from the factory. When they told me to swap it out with the spare in my parts kit, I used the one that was the exact same length. It turns out the right spring is a bit longer but since there are no lengths mentioned in the parts diagram, I just went by what came with the press. Found the correct spring in the bag and I now have two fully functional priming systems. I guess it will make switching back and forth between small and large a lot faster!

Ron

First time loading with the right spring in the priming system. Sure makes things a lot faster and I no longer have to think about manually advancing the primer index arm each time which is really nice. 200rds of 9mm without a single primer missed!

If they would have sent me a new spring instead of having me switch it out with one from the spare parts bag, the problem would have been solved long ago. Since there is no way to identify the individual springs in the spare parts kit but to match them up with the one you are replacing, I reinstalled an incorrect spring. At least when you get the individual parts from Dillon, they are labeled. They have sent me a new indexing spring and sure enough, it says so right on the bag. Not sure what the smaller spring that was in my priming system goes to but I suppose I will find out one of these days.