Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

czechmate doubts

gianmarko

in the meanwhile i have experimented with loads

i have gone up with powder doses. moderately up, as i dont want to blow up anything

so my impression, and keep in mind i am a total beginner with open guns and major loads, is that after all the comp is working fine and perhaps the problem is a too soft recoil spring.

going up with powder doses i >think< the muzzle flip is increasing, not decreasing. plus cases are ejected very far away.

and i start seeing signs of overpressure on the primers, which are quite flattened. but id like an opinion from the experts, i will post some pictures of cases later on

in the meanwhile here a video of a speed exercise, using a load developed using locally produced powder which is quite popular in the open gun community. this load sends a 124 grs bullet around 1380fps.

If you have access to SP2 you're in luck as it's considered my many the very best powder for 9 Major. I'm in a nearly identical situation: I started with 135gr bullets and was unhappy with the muzzle flip and realized I was starving the comp of gas, so I got some 100gr bullets to max out the gas and WOW! 10gr of SP2 pushes a 100gr bullet at 1650fps and makes major in my CZ. the only problem is the rounds are a little short so I had a handful of misfeeds in a 250 round match. A buddy took video of a run with no malfunctions, I'll post it today so you can see how flat it is.

I'm getting some 115s this week which should strech out the OAL and eliminate the feed issues.

Here is a video of me shooting my Open CZ 75 SA major loads

6.9 grns Auto comp

124 grn MTG FMJ

1.130 OAL

CCI SPP

power factor around 169

If you look the gun runs very flat,I am using a 6 # recoil spring that has had 3 coils cut off with a solid guide rod

Edited by Big Dog Howie

that looks awesome, really flat. ill look into soucing 115 grains bullets, which might not be easy. thanks for the info and compliment for the stage, really fast

wish we had such nice ranges here.

If you have access to SP2 you're in luck as it's considered my many the very best powder for 9 Major. I'm in a nearly identical situation: I started with 135gr bullets and was unhappy with the muzzle flip and realized I was starving the comp of gas, so I got some 100gr bullets to max out the gas and WOW! 10gr of SP2 pushes a 100gr bullet at 1650fps and makes major in my CZ. the only problem is the rounds are a little short so I had a handful of misfeeds in a 250 round match. A buddy took video of a run with no malfunctions, I'll post it today so you can see how flat it is.

I'm getting some 115s this week which should strech out the OAL and eliminate the feed issues.

Here is a video of me shooting my Open CZ 75 SA major loads

6.9 grns Auto comp

124 grn MTG FMJ

1.130 OAL

CCI SPP

power factor around 169

If you look the gun runs very flat,I am using a 6 # recoil spring that has had 3 coils cut off with a solid guide rod

Nice work on that Texas Star Big Dog! :cheers:

I've never tried AC, maybe we can trade samples if we ever get to shoot together.

that looks awesome, really flat. ill look into soucing 115 grains bullets, which might not be easy. thanks for the info and compliment for the stage, really fast

wish we had such nice ranges here.

you may want to check the IPSC rules, there is a 120gr minimum bullet weight for major powerfactor in open division (IPSC rule book Appendix D1)

Kneelingatlas your major 100gr load is also a no go in USPSA as there is a 112gr minimum also in Apendix D1 just in the USPSA rule book

Mike

• 4 months later...

Hi all

im resuscitating this old thread as i have done some research and came up with some results

so to make a long story short, i have found that 8.5 grains of SP2 behind a 124 grs copper plated bullet loaded at 28.8 OAL will give a round that shoots really nice and flat at speeds around 1400 fps

with this round my CM shoots better and flatter that my friend's STI.

as an aside, i have loaded some rounds using fiocchi fmj bullets loaded at 29.9

7.8 grains of SP2 will push the bullet at 1250 fps, which is not enough to make factor, but the round is as smooth as silk, no barrel flip whatsoever, so much that the red dot stays in the middle of the lens.

next step, will increase freebore so that i can load copper plated bullets at 29.9, i expect really good results using the SP2.

i have tested other powders but the vectan is on another level altogether