Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying or building a single stack .40

Rye

I've been pondering about this. I'm stuck whether to get STI trojan or build a custom 1911. What are your thoughts on this? I just want to play with single stack division. Thanks.

Going the Trojan route will be significantly cheaper. You will be looking at a minimum of 2k to have one built.

I'm thinking that at the end of this season, I will be selling my Spartan and buying a Trojan.

Are there any parts that may need to be changed when going with the Trojan route? I've read on some post that it will still need some tweaking and gunsmith work. Trojan is priced at close to 1100 and you can get all the parts for a build close to the price. I guess the thing that's holding me back is the price of having the gunsmith build it.

You might want to look at Dawson's CRP Trojan in 40. You'll save time and money on the parts that you might want to change. Last time I checked, they're backed up until end of August due to the (non) availability of the stock Trojan.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here at the forum. Every now and then a great deal pops up! Good luck with the hunt :)

I've considering this myself as well. Currently have a Trojan in .45 that I use for SSD, but have been wanting a .40 since that is what I shoot in Ltd.

Price-wise what the others have said about a new Trojan being equal to the cost of a custom build is close. I have access to a local GS who does really good work and doesn't charge much (we argue everytime he does work for me and now I "tip" him in booze). Advantage for me with a custom build is I can spec exactly the components I want such as barrel, ignition components, safeties...etc. I am also partial to tri-topping.

So when you add up the cost of changing out parts on a stock Trojan to what you might want instead, that is where custom gives the benefit IMO. But if you'd be happy with the Trojan in stock configuration, buying a Trojan is probably the better deal.