Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flat base 223 bullets

bodene 5

is there a trick or perfered method to seating flat base bullets for 223 . I prep all brass first sort by head stamp deprime and full length size , trim to length then chamfer I have done boat tail but never flat base they are 55 grain varmit nightmare extreme . just curious how other folks do it

• 1 month later...

The only difference is I hold the flat base bullet on the case until it enters the die

I found ifi don't do that, the heads fall off or get misaligned and crushes the case

+1 on this... I hold the bullet on the case and let the seater die "sweep" my fingers off the top of the bullet/case as I withdraw my hand... granted, this increases the risk of pinching your fingers, but IF you are paying attention to your reloading (and you are, right?), then it is not an issue.

I've had no issues with the 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon flat base bullets while using my Forster Ultra Micrometer seater die. They have some marketing material on their website to tell you how it holds the bullets straight. All I know is that my gauged runout has all but disappeared since switching to a Forster press and dies from the RCBS RockChucker with Redding dies.

• 1 month later...

Flat base is what I use. You got some good advice here. A staple in the tool box is the deburr/chamfer tool. A quick twist on I.d. will help the transition from the bullet to the case. Or if you're doing some volume, that RCBS case center looks like a real time saver.

Dog

Flat base is what I use. You got some good advice here. A staple in the tool box is the deburr/chamfer tool. A quick twist on I.d. will help the transition from the bullet to the case. Or if you're doing some volume, that RCBS case center looks like a real time saver.

Dog

This. But there is a trick if you are running a progressive press. A Lyman "M" die can be set to just barely open the case mouth a touch. Bullet then has a nice straight path to follow. Don't over do it. With a progressive, size/case prep off the press, then run the "M" die in the first station.

Edited by Doc Hunter