Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech Tek-Lok vs. ASR for Competition Belt

I shoot 3gun. All of my belt gear is blade tech (2 holsters, 3 double mag pouches, 1 PMAG mag pouch). It's all mounted with ASR on a Galco 1.75" instructor belt. However, I just ordered the Blade-Tech Competition Belt, to set up a dedicated 3gun rig.

I'd like to switch all of my belt gear over to the blade tech TMMS. Which attachment method works best with their TMMS and their Competition belt...Tek-Lok, or the Adjustable Sting Ray? Pro's and Con's of each? Or is one hands-down the prefered way to go for a 3gun rig?

Also, I assume the Small TMMS is what I'm going to want for my 3gun belt (double mag pouches, caddies, rifle pouches, holsters, etc.)?

I think it might just be personal preference. I have used both and prefer the ASR because the Tek-Lok adds unnecessary weight and bulk to the holster or pouch. However, the Tek-Lok is almost bomb proof. I had one SRB holster wit the ASR attachment that continuously popped the locking bar out, even when I installed new bars.

The ASR will make you spread apart the gear more due to their width vs that of a TL. If you're not worried about real estate, then both are great attachments.

On a side note- to save money, I've seen people bolt the female part of the TMMS straight to their belt...

I've never done a side-by-side attachment comparison of the ASR vs. the Tek-Lok per se but I've always gotten the Tek-Lok on my magazine pouches so I can cram them together (I like to run singles), but then ASR on the holster to limit wobble since it's a wider attachment. Of course now that I think about it, it might just be that the clamping action makes the Tek-Lok more secure? I do have a spare Tek-Lok pouch I'm not using so maybe I'll give it a switch with the holster to see if I really have a preference. Hhmmm....

I use the tek lok on everything and put Velcro on the inside and outside of the lok to make is more secure and limit rotational and horizontal movement and I put the spacer bars as close to the edge of the belt as I can and have it still close.

One thing I'm curious about is if anyone has done a side by side with the blade tech TMMS and safariland QLS, I'd like to know what people come up with, it looks like the qls is more robust but without actually getting both its tough to tell.

I went out to the garage and gave my Tek-Lok pouches a jiggle on the belt, and I'm not even going to bother experimenting with a swap around: too much movement. Sounds like Akkid17 discovered a solution, but it also sounds like too much to bother with when my current system is working fine for me.

So Jkrisp, you'd recommend doing an ASR on the holster and tek-loks for mag pouches, shot caddies, etc? If you were starting from scratch, what do you think would be the ideal blade tech set up?

First off, I won't claim to be any kind of a real expert-- just sharing my limited experiences. :cheers:

Actually, I'm currently in the process of starting from scratch since I'm coming off an injury that took me out of the game for awhile, and I decided to come back in shooting a different category that I have to build a rig for. I used to shoot Single Stack exclusively, and now I'm shooting production. I always shot SS with the ASR holster and Blade-Tech single pouches with Tek-Lok. That setup worked perfectly for me for years!

Going production, I went with the ASR holster again and tried to keep it cheap by getting a Safariland 079 double pouch as an experiment. I'm not in love with the Safariland, and I'm planning to pick up another couple Tek-Lok pouches pretty soon to put in front of the 079. I might even just sell the 079 and go straight BT single pouch Tek-Loks. I'm not saying that the 079 is a bad pouch exactly, but it's lined with a cloth substance that doesn't release like straight kydex. That, and the tension control is a lot more positive on the BT's. I'll give the 079 big points for being as good as it is for the price, though!

FYI, I also went with the DOH attachment (they call it D/OS now) on the production holster. I didn't use the DOH before because I was also using my 1911 for CDP in IDPA categories. While it's too early for me to claim that I'll stick with the DOH... I'm pretty sure that I'm sticking with it, and if I were using it with a rifle I'd definitely do the DOH.

Just my $.02.