Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clays Instruction Question

MBaneACP

A question for you guys...

I mentioned awhile back that I wanted to do a sporting clays instructional piece (using me as a crash test dummy...from pistol to shotgun, etc.) for SHOOTING GALLERY. I said at the time that I'd talked to one shooting school, but some of the private feedback I got from the list on that school was less than positive. Since then I haven't gotten the "warm-and-fuzzies" from those particular instructors, and on these instructional type shows, *everybody* has to be having fun, or it doesn't work.

So, I'm open to suggestions for instructors to put together such a show. A friend of mine in Georgia has suggested Casey Atkinson.

To me, I'm looking for skill AND a sense of humor.

Suggestions???

mb

Dan Mitchell of Mitchell's Clay Target Sports is THE MAN at least around the Pac. NW.

Mitchell's Clay Target Sports

Dan's a really humble guy. Smart as a whip. An incredibly talented instructor. A frighteningly good shooter. Would look good on TV. And...is very well connected. It was just AMAZING who in the industry showed up at his tournaments.

The only downside is that his range isn't quite as photogenic as many of southern and midwestern courses - or at least wasn't the last time I was there. Certain stations are just, well, ugly. The rest of the stations would film very nicely, though. If scenery became an issue, that would only make me inclined to fly him to another facility that was more photogenic if necessary. All you have to do is meet the guy once to realize that he'll do more for you than a lot of the duds and egomaniac posers in the clays game.

Dan's range really reflects his personality too: super relaxed with no egomaniacs and no range/gun nazis. His targets are SUPERBLY set. A beginning shooter can go and have fun and break targets, while the expert shooter will still find tough targets. Dan hasn't been infected with the latest bug of setting a course where nobody can break a target for the sake of going on an ego trip.

If it isn't already obvious, I just think the world of the guy. He would absolutely help make a first class episode for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Second the Dan Mitchell recommendation. I knew him when he ran Wolf Creek in Atlanta. He and Patsy are a class act. Dan can teach anyone...even a TV host.

He is, however, retired Navy so you must speak slowly. :lol:

Dave

Michael,

Another 2cents worth:

If you want an excellent, local alternative -- Warren Watson is the teaching professional out at Kiowa Creek (a reasonable drive from Aurora GC). If you haven't been out to Kiowa Creek, it's a beautiful Clays club with 20 stations, a very nice clubhouse, gunsmith and gunfitting on-range and the course includes a phenomenal tower and an arena-style five-stand. Truly a classy setting that would be a cinematic winner. I'm just starting down the Clays path but I would have a hard time believing that there is much better in CO.

Plus, as a hardcore IPSC guy, I have very high praise for Warren's articulate, well thought out, and comfortable demeanor in Clays instruction. Probably worth the drive to check it out.

Anyway, good luck in your search.

Ken