Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post a picture of your Polygonal barrel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, the polygonal rifling produces higher velocities with all else being equal, although I have let to verify this empirically. In fact, I was working up a load simultaniously in my Hunter (6" polygonaly rifled barrel) and in my Kimber (5" traditional rifling); I expected the differences to be dramatic given the longer barrel AND the polygonal rifling, but the Hunter only averaged 0.5%-1% faster for most loads and actually slower for one load:

230 LRN loaded 1.222" over 3.6 grains of Clays averaged 782 fps through the Kimber and only 762 through the Hunter. I might attribute this to recommendations I've heard against shooting lead through a polygonaly rifled barrel; maybe the lead built up during the session and slowed the bullet down???

I don't know... A better comparison might be my CZ (5.1" standard barrel) vs my Match (4.75" polygonal barrel):

IMG_20130203_105009_016_zps14deebce.jpg

IMG_20130611_184822_004_zps3ccfa016.jpg

As far as straight barrel vs cone fit, the big difference is the weight at the nose to counter muzzle flip. I've never shot a Limited, so I can't compare, but Nealio has said he cant tell the difference. I don't think the difference is as significant as between a bushing barrel and a bull barrel in a 1911. There was a time when Henning sold some heavy bull barrels to replace the cone barrels in Limiteds, but no more.

I'll let you know when I'm done fixing it :roflol:

I bought the pistol used and it had the wrong size spring and screw in the sight. Needless to say I'm in rehab mode. If I can find someone local, I might have the slide milled for the super sight, then install the fixed rear from my TS I love so much (that is IF I can find a front sight tall enough to work).

You've got a point, it looks like the dovetail on the Match is in the same location as the dovetail on the super sight and is just as deep. I guess I could weld it up, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth. The best option might be this fixed rear from Henning:

H104M.jpg

I wonder how my TS rear compares to the Match dovetail???:

10202.jpg

I know the TS dovetail is wider than the super sight, but I haven't compared it to the match yet.

Good question. LPA might possibly make an adjustable kind of like I put on my 1006 (Novak cut)

20130119_210710.jpg

20130219_170957_zps4fb28d00.jpg

If someone could get a measurement of the groove or one of the Match sites off I may have something here I can match the dovetail up with.

I love Dawson sights and they make a sight that is a little over-sized but better than the the LPA Super Sight

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=16F0000-1093363057

I purchased one for my Hunter which also wouldn't hold elevation

940850_534673533237350_561390624_n.jpg

601005_534674176570619_44391506_n.jpg

Those two pieces wear bad and don't hold! If you see the Dawson piece it has little tabs that hold the position. I sent it back because just too much filing! Re-installed the Super Sight and red Loctited the crap out of that screw!

On the Hunter it is that Novak cut but I had the elevation all the way up on the Dawson piece and still shot low. Dawson is one of those companies if you sent them your slide they could for sure match it up with what you want. Great people to deal with!

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe the Tanfoglio Super Sight uses the LPA cut. I'm fairly certain my Limited Pro is the LPA cut.

The two cuts are really similar, and the dovetail is almost the same size.

The Novak cut is totally different from the bomar and lpa cut. The adjustable sight on the match uses the Novak cut - or at least something similar to the Novak cut.

Intercooler - the actual hunter slide uses the supersight, which isn't a Novak cut. Or were you referring to the Hunter/Match frankengun pictured above?

Of course, these are tanfoglio guns, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a hunter slide with the novak-cut sight on it.

Edited by djb25

Yeah, the dovetail in the Novak cut is wider than the bomar or lpa dovetail.

But I think I read somewhere that the sight on the match uses a smaller dovetail than the Novak. Or maybe it was larger. I dunno - I don't have a match.

I struggle with EAA so bad! I have the long slide 9mm conversion on order and know it is a matte slide. Wonder if the sides can be polished up like the Match slide? I also wonder if I could order a Polygonal barrel instead of what they send?

For the record last time I spoke with them they said they don't do Limited Pro conversions. That sucks!