Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post a picture of your Polygonal barrel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this is the best photo I could get. I'm not sure if this is polygonal rifling or traditional rifling. It does seem different than the rifling on the rest of my pistols...

One other thing - the bore in this pistol is ridiculously shiny. It's like a mirror. I've never seen a barrel like it.

Tanfoglio%20Limited%20Pro%20rifling%20sm

Yeah, the photo makes the barrel look more like traditional rifling. I really don't think that it is, though. There's not really a sharp edge to the rifling - for some reason the photo makes it look strange.

You can see the grooves and in my Hunter picture they can't be made out. Take a photo from the end. I will do my Pro 10mm tonight when I pick it up.

Polygonal rifling has lands and grooves as well. The difference is that polygonal rifling doesn't have a sharp edge between the lands and grooves. I agree, though - my photo does look like traditional rifling. I think it's a shadow or reflection problem, though. If you look carefully at the crown, and ignore the inner barrel, you can see that the barrel doesn't have the sharp cuts like in your other photos. The lands are actually convex.

Okay, this is driving me nuts. The Limited Pro barrel is nearly impossible to get a clear photo of - there's some sort of weird optical illusion that occurs when I try to take photos.

Let's try a slightly better comparison.

Here's the barrel out of my Tanfoglio "Combat Shooting Cohai", dated 1988:

Cohai%20barrel.jpg

And here's another crappy photo of my Limited Pro, dated 2013:

Limited%20Pro%20Barrel%20Crown.jpg

I think that shows the difference pretty clearly. The Cohai is clearly a round hole with very clear grooves cut into it. The Limited Pro is more of a hexagon with convex sides. It's actually fairly easy to tell the difference if you have two barrels to compare side-by-side.

Well, I'm satisfied that it is polygonal (hexagonal, in fact) rifling.

The way the photos were coming out had me second-guessing myself at first, but closer inspection made it obvious that what looked like sharp edges were actually just a dirty barrel induced optical illusion.

It turns out that the easiest way to tell one form of rifling from the other is to look closely at the crown. The crown for conventional rifling is a circle with cut grooves, while polygonal rifling is, well, a polygon with convex sides (they're rounded).

Here is two I just took of my Limited Pro 10mm barrel. Polygonal or straight cut? The Hunter is obvious and listed as Polygonal. I'm pretty sure the Match is straight cut by looking at the well defined grooves/landings. This one... don't know!

1069294_562257720478931_1191986441_n.jpg

1044743_562257830478920_1108242999_n.jpg

I think after tomorrows shooting session I will clean the Match and Limited Pro barrels spotless inside and photo again.

Looks polygonal to me.

Here's Tanfoglio's description for the Limited Pro:

"The characteristics of this model are: the frame with squared trigger guard and front and back checkered straps for increasing the hands grip, the barrel with polygonal rifling for better accuracy and longer life and the slide with larger serrations."

741566112416 600328 DA/SA, FAS, EMR, CS, ES, AC, HSH 10MM 15+1 4.75” 9” 1.4" 5" 41 $1028 AC=Ambidextrous Controls, AR=Integral Accessory Rail, BM=Beveled Mag Well, CB=Cone Barrel/Slide Lockup, CS=Checkered Front/Back Strap,

DA/SA=Double Action/Single Action, EMR=Extended Mag Release, ES=Extended Safety, FAS= Full Adjustable Sight, FDC=Full Length Dust Cover;

HSH=Heart Shaped Hammer, LPWS=Low Profile Windage Sight, PC3=Three Port Comp, PR=Polygonal Rifling, SA=Single Action,

SMH=Drilled & Tapped for Scope Mount, WAS=Windage Adjustable Sight, WD=Wonder Finish

That's what makes anything you get from EAA crazy. Could be any barrel, case, etc...

Oddly enough the Italian site says the Match is Polygonal.

Of course it does. Heck - you got the nice locking hardcase with your Limited Pro while mine came with the plain plastic case - and the serial numbers of our guns are within 50 digits of each other. Apparently it's random, or else someone at EAA wanted my case.