Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got sick of the stippling

midget

IMAGE_6BF5324A-F47B-42A9-9605-DB0D1F8F95

IMAGE_A91C9609-F57E-4EB4-A2F7-C7CB71FFFE

JB Weld + 70 grit aluminum oxide

I have a few spots to touch up tonight, but I don't think it turned out too bad. I really want to try this with a gun that hasn't been stippled. Also worth noting, this thing is just like holding sand paper... I love it!

I always liked to shoot a few coats of epoxy based spraypaint over the top to really lock the grit in.

Good idea, I think I will have to do this! What paint do you use?

Edited by midget

I think I have Rustoleum black appliance paint. The more coats you use, the "softer" the grit gets.

In that case, I will likely only do one :)

I want this thing to eat skin for dinner and come back for more :)

Is it possible to undo this once you've done it? :)

I supposed you could try and chip it or sand it off.. The way I look at it, I stippled mine, it wasn't aggressive enough, so my only options were to further stipple it or try this...

I'm with you midget, the stippling just doesn't cut it. I live in the desert and seem to perspire quite a bit when shooting in 100 degree plus weather and have never had my homegrown epoxy/alum. oxide covered grips fail. I can't say the same for stippling and skateboard tape. Good choice, good luck.

Epoxy will de-laminate from a Glock frame at or about 100 degrees. (Think Table start in the summer, also you can just heat gun it off if you don't like it)

(this is why we have gone away from using happy home owners home depot epoxy as a bonding agent)

Epoxy will de-laminate from a Glock frame at or about 100 degrees. (Think Table start in the summer, also you can just heat gun it off if you don't like it)

(this is why we have gone away from using happy home owners home depot epoxy as a bonding agent)

What do you guys use now?

It doesn't soften up too much. I usually did about 4-5 thick coats and never had grit come off.

Never had an issue with jb and heat either. The guns have been from Arizona to Las Vegas without an issue. Never realized there was a delaminating issue.

If I do some more grips, I'll swap out the jb for a better epoxy.

I have a grip done with JB weld sitting in a 120 degree garage and it is just fine. No de-lamination or deterioration and it has been sitting in the heat for the last 2 months. This is on a STI frame not a glock. My experience with JB weld is nothing but WIN!

My only thought is that the plastic that glock frames are made of might either expand or sweat and cause the delamination... Either way, if it is 100 or above, I'm keeping my butt in the ac