Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Powder Drop Issues

I just recently changed powder from WSF to IMR 7625. I am having trouble with the powder drop using the 7625.It goes from 4.6-4.0,3.8 back to 4.6. I have cleaned with alchol and still no results. I went back to WSF and the problem went away. I have people that use only 7625 and dont have issues. Any tips is greatly appreciated. I am trying to get 4.6 gr for my glock 34 9m.

Edited by Nitrofish1

I have 8 lb of 7625 and I can not find a cure to get accurate loads. I am trying to acheive 4.6grn but not even close. That sucks! Cleaned and polished hooper with no help. I Know someone out there is the expert on fixing? Do I need to buy a powder dispenser?

FWIW: Make sure you hold an extra second on the down stroke to make sure powder has time to fully drop. If you speed up you can get a large variation in drop weight. Also make sure that your powder bar is traveling fully. If the blue nut on your return rod is out of adjustment, it can cause weight issues. If the bar is sticking it can also throw the weight off. I know Dillon would disagree, but put one of the older type return springs on the powder measure and see what happens.After putting on the spring, back off the blue adjustment return nut. Let the spring work the bar.

Youngeyes:

What powder bar are you using? Some folks have had problems using the small powder bar with large grain or tubular powders. Changing to the larger powder bar has helped. I was using the small powder bar with N350 trying to throw 7 grains and was getting a lot of spillage onto the turret. I changed to the large powder bar and the spillage problem disappeared but the large bar is limited to the larger capacities or volumes of powders.

Hope this helps.

Arlin