Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 9mm barrel in .40 gun possible and safe?

I have two standard Springfield P9's one in 9mm and one in .40. Can I swap my 9mm barrel to my .40 gun safely, or vise versa? They look to be exactly the same and I cant seem to find any differences between the parts visually or online. Would the recoil spring be different for the .40 load?

Cheers,

Evan

Yes you can swap them the only difference is the breach face and possibly the recoil spring. The 9mm will probably function ok in the 40 slide. But not the other way around.

You can also just swap the wold top end (slide and barrel) from frame to frame most of the time they fit just fine.

Mike

Ive swapped the slides and it seems to work fine. I was just curious as I like the look of the .40 more and it would be cool to shoot two calibers from it for production class.

Cheers,

Evan

Yes you can swap them the only difference is the breach face and possibly the recoil spring. The 9mm will probably function ok in the 40 slide. But not the other way around.

You can also just swap the wold top end (slide and barrel) from frame to frame most of the time they fit just fine.

Mike

Ive swapped the slides and it seems to work fine. I was just curious as I like the look of the .40 more and it would be cool to shoot two calibers from it for production class.

Cheers,

Evan

Mike

it might be nice to do that but it would also be illegal. in production you can replace a barrel but only with the same caliber and cartridge. so you cant run a 9mm barrel in a 40sw gun, same with changing the whole top end, it has to be the original caliber for that gun.

but for fun and practice its great to be able to swop parts around

Mike

Mike, the whole caliber change/Production class thing doesn't seem even possible to enforce. How would an RO or MD know that your gun started life as a 9mm but you changed a top slide to a 40 and now you're DQ'd? I suppose if you sold me the gun, you'd know but aside from personal knowledge you'd have to validate a serial number with the manufacturer?

Mike, the whole caliber change/Production class thing doesn't seem even possible to enforce. How would an RO or MD know that your gun started life as a 9mm but you changed a top slide to a 40 and now you're DQ'd? I suppose if you sold me the gun, you'd know but aside from personal knowledge you'd have to validate a serial number with the manufacturer?

That's true for a lot of USPSA rules.....

I know it would be hard to catch someone who was breaking that rule, but that IS the rule. The production division rules are very restrictive as to what you can and cant do, many of the rules prevent doing things that do not create a competitive advantage, while allowing some that do. they may not always make the most sense. I wouldn't knowingly break the rules even if I know it is not giving me a competitive advantage.

As a RO I have to pretty much take it on faith that a Tanfoglio is what the shooter tells me it is, as there is no list of serial numbers to cross reference with the production gun list and to the configuration as presented at the match. Just like I have to assume that any of the plastic guns that you can interchange parts on are on the correct frames.

Mike

Edited by bikerburgess