Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks to Ben Stoeger

JD45

There is probably a time and place for variations of front sight focus, target focus and follow through (or not). If you practice and can shoot good groups at 25 yrds or further, it really doesn't matter what you do at 5 yrds.

There is probably a time and place for variations of front sight focus, target focus and follow through (or not). If you practice and can shoot good groups at 25 yrds or further, it really doesn't matter what you do at 5 yrds.

Why not?

Why not?

Forgive me because I have not read your books, but the drills you have for 5 yrds, are they primarily for accuracy or speed?

Why not?
Forgive me because I have not read your books, but the drills you have for 5 yrds, are they primarily for accuracy or speed?

The learning drills like the accelerator are for you to learn what you need to do to hit targets both near and far and in between. As you go you learn how much you can burn the close target and how bad you miss when you burn the far target... well thats what I have learned anyway. I think the general idea is to learn what you are capable of. If you can point at a close target and get solid A's then why the hell not. If you have to aim hard to get As at 25 then do it. But you need to learn which is which before a match.

Why not?

I prefer to do both accuracy and speed.

Why not?

I prefer to do both accuracy and speed.

Are you looking for groups at 5 yrds or acceptable hits? Are you using a target focus at 25 yrds and beyond?

If you can shoot a good group at 25 yrds, lets say 2 inches or so, then it stands to reason that at 5 yrds accuracy should not be a problem. At 5 yrds as long as you can get acceptable hits, do whatever you think is the fastest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a drill we did in Ben's class from 7 yards (I think, could have been 5) where he made us put our front site post just above the notch and shoot a shot, front site just below the notch and shoot a shot, and then 2 more shots from the front site far left and far right of the notch. What happened?...................4 A zone hits! This kind of drove home the "see what you need to see to make the shot" concept. I don't need to see as much at 5 yards as I do at 30, so I aim more or less depending on what I'm shooting at. The drill proves you don't need a perfect site picture to get A zone hits up close, so the second I see some fiber on close shots I'm ripping it! Seems like a waste of time to get a crisp front site up close.

One thing not mentioned (yet) has to do with older eyes and the ability to quickly change focal distance. It's much faster for me to shift my focus from near to far than to pull it back in to the front sight. As best I can, I start a stage with and try to maintain a front sight focus, no matter how close the target. Of course there'll be some back and forth as you transition/move and the need to dress up your sight alignment is less on close targets but if I let my focus stray too far or too long, I'll usually play hell getting it back to my front sight when it's really needed.

My two cents, adjusted for inflation

Mark

Mark,

I've worked on the eye technique lately and I've found that I can move my focus faster than my gun.

One thing not mentioned (yet) has to do with older eyes and the ability to quickly change focal distance...if I let my focus stray too far or too long, I'll usually play hell getting it back to my front sight when it's really needed.

My two cents, adjusted for inflation

Mark

Mark,

I've been working on eye technique lately and found I can still move my focus faster than my gun. It takes some effort and practice and if my focus does stray the gun gets ahead of me, not just my eyes.

I'm sure in the near future we'll hear more about eye dynamics not just "snapping" the eyes to the next target and transitioning to front sight etc.

I'm still working through this book which has exercises.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Cognition-Decision-Training-Quiet/dp/0736042563

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1206/hotline/hvickers.htm

DNH