Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold Overhaul

mhearn

I've had my Browning Gold worked on several times to get it set up for Practical shotgunning. Briley has worked on it more times than I want to admit. The Gold can be troublesome, just ask Briley. They still work on them but no guarantees. Ouch. But, when they're set up properly, the Browning has a very soft recoil and that auto feed trick is sweet, especially if you shoot dry.

I just got mine back from Jerry Harp at Rockin'H Tactical. He did a great job. Worked on the bolt/bolt carrier, put on a one piece mag tube (nice and light), tuned the springs, new stocks (also lighter), and a new Sims recoil pad.

Tested fired it this past weekend. Very nice. Significantly lighter and easier to move around. Not a single glitch in cycling and I was shooting "light" loads. I know some folks like heavy guns, but come on (9 rounds inside plus sidesaddles, 14 rounds outside). I'm happy to see the gun itself drop a couple of pounds.

Jerry knows his weapons. If your looking for some help. He's worth a try.

Rockin H Tactical

(931 232 6509)

I don't know.. I did all my own work and have had zero problems with it. I added the mag tube, utilized Wolff's extra power action spring, and loaded it up with 1 1/8 ounce loads and/or S&B standard slugs and the gun never had a cough or hiccup at all. I do load my own ammo, so maybe that's why, but it just keeps running on everything I feed it. I used the standard mag tube spring, and if I cycle it by hand the gun will not feed the last round, however I have never had a failure to feed the last round in actual shooting situations. I figure the recoil knocks it loose. The ports in the barrel are standard and it uses a 28" unmodified barrel.

Vince

I must admit I am with the Sargenv camp with this. There are only a few Golds at present in the UK 3 gun world. I did the work on all of them and they run great. I use the normal mag tube spring, a Briely carrier latch spring (kindly supplied by Jerry) and a bespoke mag tube. The guns we use are 3 1/2 chamber Hunter models and come with the heavy recoil spring as standard. All these guns run 99% perfect. I dont think thats because of my fantastic gunsmithing skills but simply they are set up correctly.

In an average match of about 150 rounds I may get one minor stoppage where the round has failed to be completely chambered, this takes about a second to clear and I find this an acceptable failure rate, especially compared to some Remingtons I see fail on command ! :)

I recently aquired a new 24' Fusion Evolve. I again did the work, honed out the port, did the springs etc. Prior to going into its first match it had 10 shells put through it to see if it would go bang - it did, and went on to come 2nd in the match with only 1 stoppage throughout. I didnt change the recoil spring as it is brand new and really tough - I may need to swop it over in the future.

I know Jerry does some good work on the Golds but Mark it does sound as though you had a bad one that didnt really want to play. What model was it, bbl length etc ?

Mike

Mine was originally a Browning Gold Turkey Hunter. 24" barrel. The Main glitch seemed to be with that carrier latch spring. Not the easiest part to get to and work on. I cut up several and so did Briley before we got it fixed up. I also had trouble with the magazine tube spring in the longer tube. This was even before Briley came out with their new and improved recoil springs, latch springs and magazine springs for this gun. I shot it with the 24" barrel for awhile, but have a 18.5" one on it now that I like better.

I do believe that the load is a major factor in reliability. Low recoil is great, but you need the gas to run the gun. I've settled on a combination that works in the gun and is fairly low in recoil (2.75 drams, 1-1/8 oz of shot and B&P slugs). For others, it could be entirely different.

It's taken longer than it should have to get this baby set up but its ready now and I'ld put it up against all comers.

Ive been shooting my Browning Gold Turkey model for at least the last 3 yrs. I originally had problems with FTF when i first installed a mag tube from SURE CYCLE, but i fixed that when i installed a recoil spring from an Gold 3 1/2. My normal reload is 29.9gr of Unique for about 1250fps. I also tried some 7/8oz light huning loads, it still worked, barely.

Jerry

What about the winchester SX2's, do you also work on them? If so what do you do as a full on package? Mine was flawless for the longest time and recently has begun puking with some frequency. I did change loads but the change was only going to a stronger load with 3.25 drams instead of 3. It seemed to me this load would run as well or better, however it fails to fully eject. Is this something that may be an easy fix? I know change back to the old load but at the same time I am more worried about the bigger pic of the gun not functioning properly.

thanx, Craig