Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 sm. and lg. primer conversion

This looks pretty straight forward according to the manual, but I wanted to see if anyone has any tips that will help me out (or talk me out of it).

I have a few tool heads setup for .223, 9mm, and 40 and have been using a SDB for .45. Compared to the 1050 the SDB is a lot more work and slower so I was thinking of selling it to a friend and buying the parts required to load .45 on my 1050.

I tend to load 3000-5000 at a time and swapping toolheads, etc. has proven quite easy to me. Just haven't wanted to mess with the priming system.

The primer punch adjustment mentioned on page 14 of the manual looks to be the trickiest part. Am I overthinking it?

Thanks,

Allen

If there are primers in the tube at the time of the change, then cut a strip of brass shim stock about 2" long and a bit narrower that the primer slide, insert it from the rear, through to the front, on top of the primer slide, then bend the 2 ends upwards. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the shield, pinch the shim stock as you remove the shield. No primers all over the place.

The conversion isn't too bad once you've done it a few times.

If there are primers in the tube at the time of the change, then cut a strip of brass shim stock about 2" long and a bit narrower that the primer slide, insert it from the rear, through to the front, on top of the primer slide, then bend the 2 ends upwards. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the shield, pinch the shim stock as you remove the shield. No primers all over the place.

The conversion isn't too bad once you've done it a few times.

Thanks. I usually run the tube dry between sessions, but that is a good idea.

Changing from small to large primers is easy. Takes me about 10 min. if that. The primer punch is easy to change as long as you have the tool that came with the press.

I have the tool, so I think I will order up the conversion parts and sell the SDB. Cheers.