Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55 Gr Bullet for 223 are they essentially interchangeable?

tohm

I have a Stag 3G (18" barrel 1/8 twist) and usually load Montana Gold with H335, with the availability of components I switched to CFE because i bought some to try out when powder was available. Recently with some concerns on the integrity of the new Montana Gold bullets, now I am going to work up a load for Noslers and then when I find some Hornady's. So the question is for those of you who have worked up multiple loads (keeping the powder and charge the same) do you see much difference in changing out the 55 gr. bullet? Also what velocity do you find your best accuracy for this bullet weight? Range is zero to 400 yards max.

My very limited experience says there is no difference in elevation for V-max and Winchester bulk FMJ, albeit the V-Max is 1moa and the Winchester is 3-4moa. Same 27gr CFE charge had same POI at 1,2,300 yards.

Thanks guys, I have some test rounds loaded, it is just difficult to find a range and have the time to get them wrung out. I hope to in the next week but i am thinking they are going to be pretty much same POI. I hope to find some Hornady to take also, but they are not on the shelves locally to get a small sample. Have you tried anything beyond the book max or did you find pressure issues?

• 3 weeks later...

The beauty of reloading is that you are able to customize your loads to your firearm and give you minimum group size. Sure you could load different bullets with the same charge but in some instances, changing brass, primer or bullet could change POI or group size.

The question is how accurate do you need? If you are shooting for smallest groups at 200yds then it would be a good idea to work up a new load for each variation of components. On the other hand, if you are blasting tin cans at 50yds, provided that you are not loading near max or there are no pressure signs, load away.

Edited by kamikaze1a

One thing you would want to watch for - and possibly change - is the overall length. Different bullets - of the same weight - may need to be loaded to a different OAL due to the change in nose shape.