Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 550B loading 300 AAC Blackout

I am having trouble with the AK powder funnel distorting and/or spilling powder when loading 300 AAC Blackout. This is happening about 3 out of 10 cases so it is not consistant. I suspect the 300 blackout case does not align properly with the AK funnel. However I am not rulling out a simple fix or just my operator error. The first 300 rounds I did not have this problem so I am not sure why it has started-any and all help is appriciated. I am using twice fired brass and resizing with RCBS dies all meet spec in that respect

Thanks Folks

Okay I started using AA#9 forgot to mention that little fact and I wonder if that is not the issue-did not have the problem with H-110 or actually AA #7 was good too

What do y'all think I am going to try what little H-110 I have left and hope the problem resolves itself but why would that cause case mouth distortion issues

Help, help oh and Help

I have set it to allow the powder bar to just reach the end or length of the measurer. No belling so I just make sure it is not screwed down too far. This was part of my problem, I was deforming maybe two out of 10 cases. I solved that by backing out the day and making sure no overtravel exhisted. Still having some trouble spilling AA#9 will post when I have that problem licked

Thanks for your response

I have never reloaded .300 Blackout or attempted to make .300 Blackout brass from .223 brass. I am in Illinois, so the blackout has no real appeal to me. NFA items like suppressors are verboten in this state.

So take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Considering how short the blackout case is, it almost sounds like Dillon's proprietary powder through die might not be set at the correct height.

Or there is some vertical alignment issue going on between the toolhead and where the shellplate stops.

Are you giving the powder enough time to drop through the funnel?

Over at AR15.com there is like a master thread on reloading the blackout:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/385765_300_Blackout_Master_Thread.html

Thanks buddy it is an alignment issure for sure because the powder will start spilling prior to reaching the top of the stroke. Yes the short case with wide mouth is an issue; in my opinion the 300AAC is close to being a streight wall pistol case. I do not use a surpressor either, but I do love this cartrage, it is fun to shoot and has great performance. Thanks for the thread

• 11 months later...

Yes some of the problem is simply the 300 blackout is a shorter case and if you do not have the case base plate screwed down sufficiently tight onto the 550B base the case will wiggle on its way up to the powder funnel. Just make sure there is very little play in your plate, not to the point of making rotating the plate overly difficult but make it firm. Allow almost no play as the case heads up to the drop funnel and you will be okay. I also did machene the funnel a little to allow a better fit to the system but I think the trick was really to make sure the plate is tight. You do need the AK funnel

Good luck I do love the blackout it just requires a little fiddling around to get it seated firmly in the 550B but once done no issues

Smokey

• 1 year later...

Using the AK funnel on my xl650 without any issues. Currently using AA1680 which does tend to stick to the powder funnel, I get a small amount of powder spillage, hitting the shell plate with compressed air every once in a while ensures that the press keeps running smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may already be doing this but if your not... after you set your powder die up and before you tighten the powder die lock ring make sure you have a case in the sizing station and raise the ram so you have a case in the powder die and the size die. Then tighten the powder die lock ring. This may help center your powder die in relation to the size die. Hope that makes sense.