Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Mag Release on XD and XDm guns in Production....

Thomas H

Does the mag release in question have a button or paddle? If it ONLY changes the length of the mag release, 21.6 doesn't require it to be on an approved model of the gun, only that it is factory/OEM.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

"...which extends only the length of the magazine release." ---doesn't that mean "it can't be longer than what is normally on the gun"? It doesn't say "A factory/OEM magazine release of any length..."

IMO Extends = longer.

Ah! I had not been reading it that way, and it hadn't occurred to me.

When I read it, "extends" meant "matches" as opposed to "making longer."

Indeed, that should solve the problem.

Thanks, folks. That's all I needed.

XD Tactical, there you go. It has been legal ever since they have been using THAT model. Our release matches the OEM mag release, as that is where we got the specs and I'm friends with the guy who first made the OEM mag release for Springfield. ANY experienced RO will not be surprised by seeing the release.

I think you are mistaking it "came with the gun" and "is legal for Production Division." If the factory does it, and if you had some experience with IPSC rule and evolution of the rules in general, it isn't so mysterious. I'm sure you can spend some time reading though the forums and finding the discussions.

XD Tactical? Um---my wife owns both the XD 5" Tactical in 9mm and in .45acp, and neither comes with an extended mag release, at least certainly not anything like I saw in the match the other day. So you are saying that the XD Tactical comes standard with an extended mag release? (As opposed to "we can buy an extended mag release from the custom shop to put on it"?)

Again, I'm simply trying to find the gun that makes this legal. Is it the XD Tactical? (Then my wife got gypped. Hm. A friend of mine bought a different XD Tactical 5" in 9mm a couple of months ago---it doesn't have an extended mag release either.)

You say: I think you are mistaking it "came with the gun" and "is legal for Production Division."

You yourself have quoted the rules that says OEM parts, and match aftermarket parts, are legal on Production guns IF they match parts that come on guns approved for Production division. I'm curious as to why you seem to keep saying that if a part is made by the company, it is legal for Production when that is not what the rules say.

You also say: "If the factory does it, and if you had some experience with IPSC rule and evolution of the rules in general, it isn't so mysterious. I'm sure you can spend some time reading though the forums and finding the discussions."

The handy thing about the rules---is that they are there in black and white, in the rulebook and the rulings.

It says:

"Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below."

"A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun."

"Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns."

So---what gun on the NROI-approved Production list has an extended mag release suitable for use on the XD and XDm? If someone could just tell me that, we'd be fine. Loves2Shoot says the XD Tactical, but the factory specimens I've seen don't have an extended mag release---is that the gun, though, and a version of it with that mag release (2000 models produced, form submitted, etc) is on the list?

Here's the list of Springfield guns approved for Production division:

"P9 (32.2 oz.), XD .45 ACP Compact 4" (29 oz.), XD .45 ACP Compact 5" (31 oz.), XD Service model 357SIG 4" (26 oz.), XD Service Model 40S&W 4" (29 oz.), XD Service Model 45ACP 4" (29 oz.), XD Service Model 45GAP 4" (28.8 oz.), XD Service model 9mm 4" (28 oz.), XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3" (23 oz.), XD Sub-Compact 9mm 3" (26 oz.), XD Tactical Model 357SIG 5" (32 oz.), XD Tactical Model 40 S&W 5" (32 oz.), XD Tactical Model 45ACP 5" (32 oz.), XD Tactical Model 45GAP 5" (31 oz.), XD Tactical Model 9mm 5" (32 oz.), XDM 40 Cal. 4.5" Barrel (31 oz.), XDM 40S&W 3.8" Barrel (28 oz.), XDM 45 ACP 4.5" Barrel (31 oz.), XDm 525 C 45 Auto 5.25' barrel (32 oz.), XDm 525 C .40S&W 5.25" barrel (32 oz.), XDM 9mm 3.8" Barrel (28 oz.), XDM 9mm 4.5" Barrel (28 oz.), XDm Model 525 C 9mm 5.25" Barre (29 oz.)"

Which one is it?

P9 is out, none of the service models, compacts, or sub-compacts come with it. The XD Tacticals that I've seen in 9mm and .45acp don't have it. It is one of the XDms? The 5.25s?

If it IS the XD Tactical, where can you buy one with an extended mag release? (That isn't a custom shop gun?)

"A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used."

Reading the product description, you will see the release is EXTENDING the release length .100", so there you answered your own question. The factory offer the XD Tactical with an extended release, but they offer them without them too, I think that is where you got way off track. If you read the history of IPSC rules, you'll find that some companies made guns only available to their shooters and because they were modified in the factory, they were legal because they came from the factory with the modifications.

Does the mag release in question have a button or paddle? If it ONLY changes the length of the mag release, 21.6 doesn't require it to be on an approved model of the gun, only that it is factory/OEM.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

"...which extends only the length of the magazine release." ---doesn't that mean "it can't be longer than what is normally on the gun"? It doesn't say "A factory/OEM magazine release of any length..."

No. They're trying to say that if only the length is longer, it's good to go....

If it's got a bigger button/some kind of paddle, then that's a different story....

They were trying to even out the Glock advantage of being able to use the extended release from the 34/5 on 17/22/19/23 etc.....