Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions Please

JJSJ

So, I have my pistol (STI Edge) and shotgun (Versamax Tactical) but I'm still looking for a rifle. I've gotten a lot of good advice on here about the factory, out of the box guns but I'm having trouble find any of them. I've considered building one myself but since my experience is with bolt guns I'm really not sure that's something I should try right off the bat. I found a rifle for sale locally but since I'm a complete newbie to AR's I'm hoping I can get some expert opinions. This is what I've found... "Seekins lower, Aero upper, Palmetto build kit, ALG QMS trigger, 16" Joe Bob barrel, BCM gunfighter charging handle, CMT AR 15 bolt, Troy 15" rail, Magpul MOE stock and grip, Magpul MBUS sights". Any thought on this rifle would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Not much wrong with your component choices...most shooters tend to run 18" barrels with rifle length gas tubes for better recoil feel. Several good choices for 18" barrels out there..I am sure many, more knowledgeable folks will be along shortly.

Well Jim, if the "Joe Bob" barrel holds 1-1 1/2 m.o.a. with good loads. And it is reliable, it is a worthy carbine! I have seen many a "Franken-gun" that puts many a factory gun to shame. ( J.P. excluded) I have never cared who made it as long as it meets those criteria.

Edited by kurtm

Not to take anything away from Seekins, but I've built up half a dozen Aero lowers and they've been excellent. Also, the fit between the Aero upper and lower have been equally excellent. I have also recently built up a few rifles using the CPWSA barrels. They only make one model... 16" mid gas, mid contour (fluted), 556 chamber, 9" twist. I run JP rifles with kinda high standards. I gotta say that CPWSA barrel impressed me with sub MOA groups, excellent fit and finish (although the feed ramps need to be polished) and an attractive price point. An excellent value for sure and they are in stock.

All,

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Does anyone have an idea of what the wait time is from JP? A JP-15 is at the top of my list but I hate to wait several months to get one.

Jim

I happen to have one of those Joe Bob barrels you mentioned. I cut it to 14.25, pinned, and welded a brake on it. It shoots well enough to meet Kurt's criteria easily. With 69s it doesn't go over 1 moa and it does just fine with 55 fmj loads. A guy I shoot with has one as well and he likes his just as well. I'll be running it at a match on Sunday.

Since it's for sale locally maybe you can test drive it. If the seller seems funny about it or doesn't make you feel good about the deal, just move along and find another one.

Fwiw I've sold about two dozen aero precision matched upper and lower receiver sets (x15 model) over the last few months. Fit and finish on all of them has been excellent. only concern I would have about buying a components build rifle from an end user is if there is a problem with the barrel performance (or any other component) your options for getting it serviced may be very limited (I.e. you're on your own)

Edited by jaredr

All,

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Does anyone have an idea of what the wait time is from JP? A JP-15 is at the top of my list but I hate to wait several months to get one.

Jim

I ordered a full JP-15 build at the beginning of march. They received my payment about a week later (you're on the queue once they receive your half payment). A little over 2 months after getting on the queue, my FFL had my complete rifle.