Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Fired

Lifeislarge

So at the end of January I decided to go back to work after being self-employed for the last few years and.... It totally sucked. I went from having the freedom to live my life fully, to what can best be described as voluntary servitude. Before the job I was shooting three matches a month, made C class, then overnight to not opening the safe for the last three. I worked 60 hours a week, Saturdays and Sundays, and most evenings till 9 at night and man, it really affected everything I held close and dear to me. I even stopped coming on the forum as it just reminded me of all the things I was missing.

So I committed employment suicide. On a Friday night a couple of weeks ago, after a 14 hour day, I told the Finance Director to eff off in front of the GM for being an unethical asshat. I snapped.... hungry and tired and sick of the BS games and scams on customers I let it all fly and was let go on the spot.

I am free!!!! I'd deluded myself into thinking that the industry had changed, and that it would be different this time but nooooo, same shit, different pile. Thing is, I have changed and although I am still very good at what I do, I refuse to use the black arts anymore to make a buck. This sell at any cost mentality is in complete conflict with the character and ethics that I developed while in business for myself.

I shot matches the last two Saturdays, cook dinner every night, and will continue to let God be my provider. I am once again at peace with the Universe. Thank you Lord, for doing for me what I could not do for myself.

Good for you. Stay an honest man and never sell out.

I lost my job after the family business that I worked for for 33 years was sold 31/2 years ago. I agonized about it for a long time but I started to consult from my home office and the freedom has allowed me to take up shooting sports. It also has allowed me to help pick up the slack at home since my wife is busy taking care of her mother who had a stroke 3 months after I lost my job. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.

Yep. Acura guy from several years back. Love the product, hate the industry. I was asked to come in and a lot of promises were made but none fulfilled. I'm good, back to doing what I did before. The great news is that I didn't use any of my ammo components for 3+ months so I should be good to go until things come back to reasonable levels. I didn't burn a bridge either and would be eligible for rehire if I became desperate enough to consider it.

I don't understand how you did not burn every bridge..

but as one famous sailor always said- I took all I can stand and I can't stands no more--( Popeye )

Bridges were left standing after I went in and made my amends with the GM, taking full responsibility for my part in the situation. He then admitted that he'd acted rashly and wished that things had gone a different way in the how he'd reacted. I did a good job, and the customers were very happy with the way that they were treated. In a business where CSI (Customer Service Index) is the key to prosperity at all levels, I left with 100% (that and I sold a bunch of cars). The key is, that for now I'm happy with the way things turned out. If need be I can always get another job, but this time I will not be willing to sacrifice my integrity nor my personal life for the almighty dollar. Lesson learned.