Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tension, on the turn and draw??

I have been dryfining in preparation to shoot the IDPA classifier. There are nine different presentations of the firearm in the classifier. I am having trouble staying relaxed on the turn and draw. By the time I get a sight focus I am choking the grip.

Have other shooters noticed this? What helps you keep from getting tense on the turn and draw?

Thanks,

Keith

I don't really mind tension in the turning draw, so long as it is in the right places (how's that for subjectivity?).

When I do my turning draw, I have some tension in lower body, almost pre-loading my trunk and leg muscles for the turn. My focus is getting my eyes on the A-Zone as quickly as possible. The other portion of my focus is bringing my right elbow (I"m a righty) down and back, close to my torso as quickly as possible (think of elbowing someone behind you, but let your torso follow elbow). This, I've found, aids in not only the about-face turn, but getting to the gun quickly. The rest just seems to follow (read: I haven't paid attention the remainder).

I think the best way to avoid unneeded tension is (1)to make sure your focus is in the area(s) you need it to be in and (2) understand what tension in the wrong spots will get you.

You are likely tense because you "expect" something...somethingwhich isn't likely happening.

Perhaps you feel you should already be shooting? Something else?

Try to forget time.

Focus on vision...make that THE top banana. Find the target as soon as possible...present the gun...find the sights.

Thanks,

L2S- I will practice:)

BigDave-The pre-load on the legs and trunk works for me.....I focused on "get eyes to A zone"....cool.

Flex-I ran my dry fire this morning with no par times, just a beep to start. The "Time" was causing me to clench up. I will alternate par times/ no par times to see if I can lose the unwanted tension.

Thanks,

Keith

Update- I have continued alternating using par time with just a beep to start. There is no doubt, at least for me, that the anticipation of a time limit was causing me to clench up. By alternating par time/no par time I am working towards the reduction of unwanted tension in my grip. Soon I will not clench even when faced with time limits or other defined limitations.

Thanks,

Keith

I successfully battled the "tension at/from the buzzer" by programming a positive relaxing or "stabalizing" response, which begins at the buzzer.

Waiting for the buzzer - your mind is set, still, and sharp. Then at the buzzer, as the gun is coming into position, feel a slight exhale from your stomach that "extends," or runs from your stomach out into your grip as the gun is sliding into position. This stabilizing exhale, which is actually felt more as a feeling than an actual movement of the breath, also remains in your forehead, right behind your eyes, and is felt as a calm although intensely alert feeling.

You gotta really practice tuning this feeling while dry-firing, then take it to the practice range, then into the match.

If that doesn't work for you, try a simpler version, which can be condensed down to the concept of "the pause." Right at the end of the draw stroke (before firing a shot) , pause - just long enough to recognize that you have paused, but not long enough to begin thinking.

Also use the "pause" when moving into a new position, or anytime you know from experience that you may tend to begin shooting while your mind is still rushing.

be