Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended striker?

dskinsler83

Just to help ensure ignition

I had problems with light primer strikes when I 1st went to a lighter than stock recoil spring. I think it was mainly Wolf, and maybe one or two other types of primers I had problems with. I don't know if that is something you experience, but anyhow, Federal primers solved the problem . Wolf has the extra power striker springs which may provide the same result you're looking for? Although, it's not recommended that you run stronger than stock striker springs with light recoil springs.

I'm thinking that an extended striker (if one existed) would render the striker safety (drop safety) ineffective.

If you've ever done a trigger job that reduces trigger travel to the point where the safety lever doesn't disengage the striker safety fully, you start getting light strikes. If you look at the primer on a light strike from this type of scenario, you will notice that the striker leaves a faint mark on the primer which means that it still contacts the primer. If you were to extend the striker, I would think that it would increase the likelihood of detonating the primer in the event of the striker safety being asked to perform its duty.

I had problems with light primer strikes when I 1st went to a lighter than stock recoil spring. I think it was mainly Wolf, and maybe one or two other types of primers I had problems with. I don't know if that is something you experience, but anyhow, Federal primers solved the problem . Wolf has the extra power striker springs which may provide the same result you're looking for? Although, it's not recommended that you run stronger than stock striker springs with light recoil springs.

+1....The answer is a stronger striker spring to ensure detonation.

myth that a longer striker (firing pin) increases ignition energy. In reality, reducing striker mass does. There are reduced mass strikers for Glocks, maybe somebody makes on for an XD? Normally only needed in comp guns where the striker spring is reduced power to get a light trigger pull. Edited by bountyhunter

I'm thinking that an extended striker (if one existed) would render the striker safety (drop safety) ineffective.

If you've ever done a trigger job that reduces trigger travel to the point where the safety lever doesn't disengage the striker safety fully, you start getting light strikes. If you look at the primer on a light strike from this type of scenario, you will notice that the striker leaves a faint mark on the primer which means that it still contacts the primer. If you were to extend the striker, I would think that it would increase the likelihood of detonating the primer in the event of the striker safety being asked to perform its duty.

i stone 5-6 thou off the striker safety to prevent the drag you are describing. you can safely do this without affecting the integrity of either part.

i stone 5-6 thou off the striker safety to prevent the drag you are describing. you can safely do this without affecting the integrity of either part.

Agreed, but I think you're missing my point.

I know for some comp. only guns, smiths are disabling the striker safety by cutting the arm off the striker that engages the safety. For a comp. only gun this is a good way to eliminate this problem altogether if a very light trigger is desired.

I know for some comp. only guns, smiths are disabling the striker safety by cutting the arm off the striker that engages the safety. For a comp. only gun this is a good way to eliminate this problem altogether if a very light trigger is desired.

Some people just take out the striker safety all together for Limited division which is generally not a good idea.

There is the possibility of the XDm releasing the striker when slamming a fully loaded mag home. If there is a round in the chamber and the striker safety is disabled/removed, guess what happens. This will only happen if there is not enough sear/striker engagement though and will typically only happen when one starts to modify the amount of engagement which again, is not recommended.

Edited by d_striker

Some people just take out the striker safety all together for Limited division which is generally not a good idea.

There is the possibility of the XDm releasing the striker when slamming a fully loaded mag home. If there is a round in the chamber and the striker safety is disabled/removed, guess what happens. This will only happen if there is not enough sear/striker engagement though and will typically only happen when one starts to modify the amount of engagement which again, is not recommended.

Agreed that modifying the amount of engagement is a bad idea. It pays to have a smith that really knows these guns and can keep things safe while getting the most out of them.

Agreed that modifying the amount of engagement is a bad idea. It pays to have a smith that really knows these guns and can keep things safe while getting the most out of them.

A good smith, like Powder River, Canyon Creek, or Springer Precision can crank out a great trigger while keeping the striker safety intact.

If they are doing that they most likely don't know what they are doing. You can make a very light trigger while leaving the safety intact. And by light I mean in the 1.5# range.