Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Caddies for a newb?

Chameleon, mark Otto and carbon arms vests all work well. My only gripe is that on a shotgun/pistol stage the larger chameleon vest can get in the way of my pistol or mags depending on how it's oriented. But the ability to hold 28 rds on your chest for a long shotgun stage is sweet and the fact that I don't have to alter my belt setup everytime I shoot shotgun is really nice. Just strap the vest/cumberbun on and go to town and when you're finished just toss it in the gear bag.

I have had a Otto vest for about a month now. I'm new to three gun, but in this month I can load weak hand and strong hand 8 shells under 6 sec. The more I use it the better I get. I can go into the yard and run around, load and still do it quick. You can learn to load 2 and then go to quad loads with one of his quad vests if you want.

depending on how heavy you get into multigun, you almost have to have all styles of shotgun loading at your disposal. I see gentlemen at our local matches switch up to caddies and then load 2 styles because they either have positions that require them to go prone or some other position that might cause the shotgun shells to fall. The vest is great but might be difficult in a prone position..... just a thought.

With my load 2 vest all you do is rotate the vest to your back when you go prone and when you transition from rifle to shotgun you rotate it back while you are running to your staged shotgun.

I would agree. Mountain Man caddies for weak hand reloading and Carbon Arms load two's are the way to go. Paired with Safariland's ELS system and you can configure it as needed and remove it when you don't so you aren't dragging it all around on stages that don't have shotgun, rifle or pistol. It also lets you rearrange things easily in case you will have to go prone or something.

Ap customs looks a little bulky, but they are wide open to get your hands on the shells. I'd rather have the chameleon or Otto chest rigs just for not having to put more crap on the belt or something that could put more shells per inch of belt space.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest a 4-gun cart from Rugged Gear. At first I was trying to find something cheaper or build my own. but after exploring all the options, the easiest and most-usable option was to buy a cart from Rugged Gear. It keeps all 4 long guns upright (which is a must in some gun clubs). the cart has lots of compartment and space for other gear/ammo/supplies. It is easy to maneuver. You can use it not only for 3G but for sporting clays/skeet/traps/etc. I even used it going bird hunting. no need to carry everyone's gun. also, it is well made and of good quality.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, that I am just getting into multi-gun and am definitely getting a load 2 carrier, but as a secondary carrier I am undecided. Has anyone used or seen anyone use the magnetic holder from Double Alpha? I have a gift certificate with them and thought this might fit the bill, but I don't want to waste the money on something else that will wind up in the failed gear box.