Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critiques please

johniac7078

Assuming that you are getting your hits, it didn't look too bad to me as far as technique goes. You do bring the gun down way too low on your reloads. Overall, you just don't seem to be moving as if time is important to you. Best I can tell, the overall stage took you about 16 seconds. You were over 2 seconds from buzzer to first shot, over 4 seconds on your reload and about 2 seconds transitioning to the other side of the barricade. That is more than 8 seconds. Half of your total stage time was spent not shooting. You could cut those times in half if you practice moving while not actually shooting with some more snap and authority. Dry fire and work on draw times, reloads and transition from target to target.

Just my .02

Assuming that you are getting your hits, it didn't look too bad to me as far as technique goes. You do bring the gun down way too low on your reloads. Overall, you just don't seem to be moving as if time is important to you. Best I can tell, the overall stage took you about 16 seconds. You were over 2 seconds from buzzer to first shot, over 4 seconds on your reload and about 2 seconds transitioning to the other side of the barricade. That is more than 8 seconds. Half of your total stage time was spent not shooting. You could cut those times in half if you practice moving while not actually shooting with some more snap and authority. Dry fire and work on draw times, reloads and transition from target to target.

Just my .02

Pretty much what I saw as well. You had the gun up an aimed but took ~1/2 sec to fire on your draw and reload. Keep the gun up higher and you'll save time getting back on tgt after the reload. I don't know how tight the shoots were were but you had pretty slow splits on a couple tgts.

Your stance and grip (what I could see) looked good, you seemed very stable and gun was well controlled.

Just my .02

Thank you sir! I really need to be WAY more disciplined on dry fire practice. When you do the math that way, makes a lot of sense. My hits are good, but I really do feel like I waste a lot of time. So I totally concur. I think I may do a day dry fire commitment.....260 days over a year (5 days a week). Take care

Just my .02

Thank you sir! I really need to be WAY more disciplined on dry fire practice. When you do the math that way, makes a lot of sense. My hits are good, but I really do feel like I waste a lot of time. So I totally concur. I think I may do a day dry fire commitment.....260 days over a year (5 days a week). Take care

time was 16.86, down 6. not great, but not totally awful. I agree with you guys. I need to stop lowering the gun so much and get disciplined.......

Try not to crowd the barracade. What I mean is, if you have to pull your weapon back to transition from side to side, you are making 3 movements just to transition (pull back, trasition, push out). Yes this is a picky point but, you did ask. BTW, I've just come back to IDPA from USPSA so forgive me if I make any dumb comments. My heart has always been with IDPA but the local club was not well run. Seems that situation is corrected so..."drizzle drazzle druzzle drone...time for this one to come home" (If you recognize this line..you are at least as old or older than me...lol)

Edited by Tom C

Here is what i see.

your aquisition is slow

your transition should be to tuck in and back out , IMHO

you should be guiding your mag with your finger and not holding it on the bottom.

you release from slide lock with your left thumb. If you are doing a slide lock reload, do it with the right thumb. The other hand should be getting ready to fire.

Try not to crowd the barracade. What I mean is, if you have to pull your weapon back to transition from side to side, you are making 3 movements just to transition (pull back, trasition, push out). Yes this is a picky point but, you did ask. BTW, I've just come back to IDPA from USPSA so forgive me if I make any dumb comments. My heart has always been with IDPA but the local club was not well run. Seems that situation is corrected so..."drizzle drazzle druzzle drone...time for this one to come home" (If you recognize this line..you are at least as old or older than me...lol)

good point. usually i try not to, but i had to tuck in to avoid exposing myself to targets on my right.

good point. usually i try not to, but i had to tuck in to avoid exposing myself to targets on my right.

Thx for bein generous with me. I know there are some times there is no other way to engage targets without extending around a barracade or through a port. There are times that truths become "rules of thumb" or truisms at best. As I see it the big thing is you're out there and shooting. The details will come.

Back off cover just a few inches so you don't have to retract/lower the pistol then do another press out on the other side of cover. Your transitions will be faster without the added movement.

Move your hands faster when going for the gun on the draw and when going for the mag on the reload. A lot of shooters move at the same speed through all manipulations trying to be smooth. You can make time by being quicker on arm swings and other gross movements that don't require much precision.