Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would the price point need to be for a machine that would sort 45

jmorris

I was thinking of just running my 45 through the press once (I have a case feeder) to size and decap only without primers. I'm new to reloading and I have run across a few SPP in my batch that I missed in the sort. I didn't pop any primers because I was going pretty slow, but I could definitely feel them before I seated the primer. I figured if I did it without the primers in the machine I would catch them 100% that way.

I'm really paranoid about popping a primer and I am going to be loading federal primers soon.

Comments on that idea?

If you have the time to process the brass without primers and then run it through again to load ammunition then your idea is very safe & conservative.

For personal use I don't feel the need to mechanically sort .45 large and small primer brass. Perhaps there aren't enough shooters around here yet with the mutant SPP brass?

If you have the time to process the brass without primers and then run it through again to load ammunition then your idea is very safe & conservative.

For personal use I don't feel the need to mechanically sort .45 large and small primer brass. Perhaps there aren't enough shooters around here yet with the mutant SPP brass?

I found about 150-200 out of 2200 of once fired brass I bought through Coloradooncefiredbrass.com. That's a pretty good percentage for what I have stumbled upon. I'll just save them and probably use them for the revolver once I have enough.

I saved up my SPP 45 brass until I had enough for a major match and left them on the ground at the 2013 Single stack Nationals for the RO's to sort.