Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Mags and Basepads

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here at the BE forums and I have a question for you. I recently bought and installed a Dawson Precision ICE magwell (with gap) on my Desert Eagle 1911 (full size gov model) and have a question regarding magazine and basepad selection.

I play USPSA (Limited 10) and IDPA (CDP). For L-10 I use CMC power-10 round magazines that work fine with the magwell by default. In IDPA I am forced to use 8 round magazines ONLY. I currently have

-3 WC 47D's

-2 Ruger SR1911 mags

-2 ACT mags with DP basepads already

With the magwell on I pretty much need basepads for a mag insertion and am ready to just order 4 of em and the basepads, but which ones? The 47'D's are OK, I guess, but they are really hard to seat when full. Should I get the ETM's and upgrade from there?

I guess my question is, what 8 rouond 1911 magazine and extended basepad combo would work best? Thank you for your time.

-SSG John V.

I have been using Chip McCormick 8 round magazines with good success, but I recently tried a couple Tripp 8 round magazines. It will be nothing but Tripp in the future. I am also moving away from Wilsom ETM 10 rounders for my 9mm Trojan, in favor of the Tripp magazines. I use the Dawson Precision basepads to allow the magazines to be used with my Techwell.

Yup. Eliminator is right. My power 10 mags are hella reliable, and I could run them here at my local matches without too much fuss, but I prefer to play the game the right way so I won't get called out on it down the road by mistake.

I ordered 4 CMC 8 round power mags with DP base pads from DP (LEM discount) and have other mags to use until then. Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll definitely look into the Tripp mags if I'm in the market later on, though.