Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Conversion Questions

Ok so I have a witness match in .40 and decided instead of getting a new gun I will just get a conversion slide to .45. I called up EAA yesterday, get a lady on the phone tell her what I want and she (rather rudely) asks what the sn. of my gun is. I didn't have it available and said I would call back the next day. This brings us to today where I call back sn. in hand, and talk to a different lady who was very nice ( I really need to start getting names) and she informs me that they "rarely" get a witness match .45 slide in, and recommends that I get the longslide conversion instead. She then informs me that the longslide is actually the better slide because it includes the super sight and cheeper too. I finally put in a backorder for the match slide anyway and gave her my info. For this whole conversation she never asks for the SN of the gun, even though that was the first thing I was asked for the other day.

I know EAA's customer service is known to be spotty, but I have now witnessed it (pun intended) for the first time.

My question to you guys is, should I call back and get the "longslide" upper instead of the match? I was under the impression that the longslide is more meant for the regular steel series witnesses and that the match slide would be fit tighter? What have others been installing on their guns?

Is it typical to have to give your SN to get an upper?

Yes, they always ask for a SN; some of them can be convinced you know what you want, but others can't.

And yes, get the long slide conversion, the only difference with the Match conversion is that it says Match on it (and may come with a worse rear sight). The slide to frame fit has more to do with which side of the bell curve your particular frame and conversion sit. My cheap Witness steel locked up tighter than my friends Match with the conversion kit.

I have had this happen also they seem put out that you dont know your SN I am not sure why they need your SN to begin with. They can be very rude there and is frustrating when you are trying to get answers and they seem to not have time for you.

I have had this happen also they seem put out that you dont know your SN I am not sure why they need your SN to begin with. They can be very rude there and is frustrating when you are trying to get answers and they seem to not have time for you.

In their defense: they ask for the serial number so they can identify exactly what pistol you have in front of you and make sure the parts you're ordering will fit. I'm sure they've had plenty of upset customers return parts which didn't end up working, but unfortunately I think I, as well as some of the others here on this forum know more about Tanfo cross compatibility than the ladies at EAA.

That being said, there is no excuse for the rush. I feel the same way when I call, it's like I'm really hassling them when I want to buy something; they can't get me off the phone fast enough.

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 2 years later...

In their defense: they ask for the serial number so they can identify exactly what pistol you have in front of you and make sure the parts you're ordering will fit. I'm sure they've had plenty of upset customers return parts which didn't end up working, but unfortunately I think I, as well as some of the others here on this forum know more about Tanfo cross compatibility than the ladies at EAA.

That being said, there is no excuse for the rush. I feel the same way when I call, it's like I'm really hassling them when I want to buy something; they can't get me off the phone fast enough.

Dude you must be their nr 1 client ;)