Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scope for open shooters?

DrLove

Open shooters, given that you can have a 1x dot in addition to your scope. Do you still use a low variable power scope or just use a high power scope for long shots and use the dot for everything else?

Still run a 1-6 Swaro with an off set fast fire 3 in a Firebird 60 degree off set mount. Run a 1-6 Vortex on my back up rifle with the same off set sight. I use the scope on 1x far more than I use the off set sight and I haven't found a time I wanted more magnification than 6x. With the Swaro and the Vortex I can ring 10 inch steel easily at 425 yards. Even run a 6 inch steel plate the other day at that range.
Pat

Still run a 1-6 Swaro with an off set fast fire 3 in a Firebird 60 degree off set mount. Run a 1-6 Vortex on my back up rifle with the same off set sight. I use the scope on 1x far more than I use the off set sight and I haven't found a time I wanted more magnification than 6x. With the Swaro and the Vortex I can ring 10 inch steel easily at 425 yards. Even run a 6 inch steel plate the other day at that range.

Pat

Agreed! Over-magnification will kill ya in 3 gun and a 1-6 will do for almost everything that one needs to do. I think the real advantage in open is the shotgun dot, comp and capacity/magazines and the dot, comp and mag cap on the pistol. I'd say the secondary optic being allowed on the rifle is the least beneficial aspect of open.

Pat

Agreed! Over-magnification will kill ya in 3 gun and a 1-6 will do for almost everything that one needs to do. I think the real advantage in open is the shotgun dot, comp and capacity/magazines and the dot, comp and mag cap on the pistol. I'd say the secondary optic being allowed on the rifle is the least beneficial aspect of open.

Agreed on the rifle the main advantage to open is the bi pod on long range stages where you can go prone. It was a lot easier for me to run the long range stage at the Surefire Texas Multigun Nationals this year than my squadmates in tac due to being able to be rock solid with the bi pod vs them having to use their mags to mono pod off the wooden platform. The off set red dot is handy in that it saves time on stages where you have to transition from near to far or far to close targets. I find it faster than turning the power ring with a cat tail. But in that match I only used my off set red dot on 2 stages with the rifle.

I also found the open pistol (STI Steel master) to be an advantage on the longer range targets. I had a good run on the 35 yard plate rack and did not bother to use the shotgun on that stage. The mag fed shotgun with a dot is also a huge advantage over TAC and like you said probably the biggest advantage with the pistol being next and the rifle being last.

Pat