Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any issues using 380 auto bullets in 9mm?

jdknotts1

I would like to shoot light bullets out of my 9mm. Are there any issues using bullets designed for the 380 auto? Such as the 95gr bullets? I wouldn't think there would be any issues since they are the same diameter but want some ideas before I order 4k of them.

My normal SC load is with the 95 MG JHP in my Open gun. I have shot at least 6K of them and love them. I also used them for some sub-minor loads in other guns and they work well, very accurate too. I guess what I am saying is go for it!

My normal SC load is with the 95 MG JHP in my Open gun. I have shot at least 6K of them and love them. I also used them for some sub-minor loads in other guns and they work well, very accurate too. I guess what I am saying is go for it!

Sweet! So no issues with the bullets not getting enough seating tension because of the shorter length?

Start low and work up using a chrono and some common sense:) If you are using N320 or HS6, I can give you my loads but I haven't tried these with anything else so far. Wait...I think I did some AA#5 a while back but can't remember that load, will have to check my logs.

NO, other than the weight.

SAAMI specifies .380 Auto bullets to be 0.3565 +0/-0.0030"

SAAMI specifies 9mm Luger bullets to be 0.3555 +0/-0.0030"

So, one could say that .380 bullets SHOULD be 0.001" larger, but they aren't--nor would it matter.

0.357" jacketed bullets do quite well in 9mm Luger.

I'll try and look up my old load data for the 95 gr jacketed bullets and post it.

Back in the 90's I sold the .380 I had and found myself with about 700 jacketed .380 bullets. They worked great in my Glock 19 and 26.

IIRC their used to be (and may still be) commercial ammo for 9mm in the 95 grain range.

Sub-Minor load (may have to change springs) - MG 95 JHP, 4.8 N320, 1.075, SPP

Minor Load - MG 95 JHP, 5.8 N320, 1.075, SPP

Minor Load - MG 95 JHP, 8.0 HS6, 1.075, SPP

The first Minor load is still light, I think it was in the 128-130 PF range. The second one is the one I use in my Open gun for SC and it was in the 140 PF area. As always, start lower than the stated values for powder and work up.