Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 55gr FMJBT Vs Soft points

Mbauer67

I usually use the Hornady 55gr FMJBT's for my blaster loads, but had to switch to the 55gr soft points since what's going on with supplies now. The OAL of the bullets are pretty close, so I am going to guess the loads with the 2 different bullets are pretty close.

Has anyone used both bullets with and had to to vary the charge or OAL for some reason? My powder preference is TAC or exterminator.

Thanks

I typically use about an 80% load in most of my stuff when selecting powder charge, When I change from FMJ to Soft points, I keep at 25.0gr of TAC for both and velocity is pretty close for both. COL can vary depending on crimp groove location and the actual shape of the soft point on different brands of bullets. Most are pretty close and depending on the shape of the ogive, you may or may not have to adjust your seating stem.

With 55 grain bullets I use 25.5 of H335. I use Hornady 55 FMJ's, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Remington Soft Points and Remington Hollow Points. The Remington hollow points are kind of stubby nosed, so those are seated to 2.220- 2.230. The soft points probably 2.240. Ballistic Tips and Hornady FMJ's at 2.250.

I seat the 55 SP's a little shorter than the FMJ-BT's. While it really doesn't matter, I seat the SP's to the middle of the cannelure, which normally ends up around 2.180. The FMJ-BT's generally end up around the 2.200 mark.

As for powder, I run the exact same charge of 24.5 gr of H335. It runs 100% in my Wylde-chambered 18" AR. Also, these have turned out to be fairly accurate for me too - 1-1.5" MOA 5 shot groups on average. Definitely not bad for cheap bullets!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been shooting the exact same bullets and even throwing in some Sierra 55gr BTHP's when I run out of the others. Not shooting TAC cause I can't get my hands on it but in the loads I worked up with H335, CFE223, and LT-32 I don't change the COAL with those bullets and I've got no point of impact shift between them out to 200 yds.