Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cylinder stop catching cylinder notch & locking up

alecmc

Look at the trigger where the pivot pin goes thru. It's cut out to allow the cylinder stop to drop into the recess. If the trigger moves moves sideways (usually towards the sideplate) the cylinder stop can hit the trigger instead of moving down into the recess.

I have a 66 that does that when I try to pull the trigger left handed but works fine firing right handed due to the angle the trigger is being pulled coming back. That's why shims can prevent the problem.

In looking at the picture of your frame in the 2nd post it looks like your hammer stud has been repaired once, has the trigger stud also been repaired? I have seen some S&W trigger stud repairs that have a high boss around the stud that would force the trigger more toward the side plate and maybe cause your condition.

In looking at the picture of your frame in the 2nd post it looks like your hammer stud has been repaired once, has the trigger stud also been repaired? I have seen some S&W trigger stud repairs that have a high boss around the stud that would force the trigger more toward the side plate and maybe cause your condition.

Not that i'm aware of.

when i first picked up this revolver I had polished out the stud boss a touch, it was extremely uneven and had some jagged edges. this is probably the shiney metal you see in question.

thanks

That is what the repair studs usually look like and they stake them in place causing rough raised portions where the stake it.

Hmmm, as far as I know I am the first / original owner of the firearm, bought brand new .... Unless this is something that of happened at the factory?

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered a similar problem with a customers gun. It was a pain to track down because it was very intermittent.

There was a burr at the front of one the cylinder notches. When we release the trigger, the stop resets by moving forward and then to the rear where the trigger can pull it down again. On the revolver in question, the burr would hold the stop in its forward position and the trigger could not pull it down to disengage it.

Take out your stop and try it for fit in each of your cylinder notches. Your notches look to be in good shape, but check each one for fit.

-pat

• 10 years later...