Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 drills only?

harley45

Winter is about here in the midwest so it's time for me to think about some indoor practice sessions. My indoor range allows movement rapid fire etc, so what I think I may do this year is pick 4 drills and shoot one of them per week for the 4 months I can't shoot outside, and track my progress. My question is what 4 drills would you guys pick?

Thanks

I can use our whole range it's got ten lanes so room won't be an issue. Just have to shoot before 10:00p.m. It's right under the jail and don't want to keep the inmates up 

Do the prisoners have to get up early and go to work? :huh:

Maybe get some of them to come down to tape and set steel for you. :ph34r:

Trigger control. Practice some standard exercises. Concentrait on accuracy.

Cadence. plate rack, 5 or 6 poppers, etc.

I would recomend spending time practicing shooting on the move (ie: lateral and forward).

Lotsa dry fire.

Tony

1. El prez at 3, 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards vary the start position and engage the targets in different orders.

2. 6 shoots 6 second par times starting @ 10 yards and moving back as you can get 6 hits in the upper A/B zone 3 times in a row.

3. Group shooting at varying distances ( I like 25 yards)

4. The Devils triangle (do a search)

Have fun :)

• 3 weeks later...

El prez at different distance.

Box/Square drill for movement. with high cap no need to quit moving so you can modify it a bit. speed up slow down etc. toss a no shoot or 2 into the equasion this will teach you to get your feet in rythm with your trigger.

one shot draw, 1 reload 1, 2 reload 2 or on the el prez 2 reload 2 reload 2

do some groups. seriously, this is very important, not just slow fire, but getting your rapid fire up, faster cadence small groups really helps me. and it also confirms that your not slapping the trigger... ooh and in todays USPSA you better shoot from as far back as the range will allow.. at tiny targets. 30-50 yard standards get annoying lately

What are the common target arrays you encounter at matches? Start positions …?

Practice things you see at matches, remember the goal is to do better at the future matches not to get good at 4 specific drills.

Why not use the winter to turn some of your weak points into your strong points (or at least no longer quite so weak points :) )

If there is a big gab between your transitions and your splits, try to close that gab. Practice getting into and out of positions. See if there are ways to reduce your setup time on each target array (having the gun up and ready before you get into position).

Don’t use the winter standing still drawing and firing at a few targets, when there are so many things you can do to better your chance at closing in on that magic 100% at your next match.