Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GUN USE?

usmc90

So how many here actually use their "carry gun" for IDPA shoots..As i read more of these posts there seems to be a trend of more of the off the shelf custom (pricey) guns used .

Maybe im wrong but wasnt this supposed to be a sport for the typical CCW shooter with typical CCW handguns?..just saying

Edited by usmc90

True but would be nice to see some real events held where if the equipment cost over say a retail price of $650.00 you cant compete. Obviously this is not going to happen but would sure make for an interesting event to say the least..lol

While your basic question is simple to answer, the total reasoning behind it may not be. Not many shooters use their "carry" gun for IDPA and in fact, my (not based on fact) guess would be that only 50% of the shooters that shoot IDPA actually have a carry permit. You need to remember that there are IDPA clubs in places that don't even have a user friendly CCW law so they likely can't even get a permit. This is "Defensive" pistol, not "Concealed Carry" pistol. So maybe their go to home defense gun is an STI or CZ? Some of these shooters may be LEO or Military who are in fact using their duty gun as well. I've shot with a few federal types (Air Marshall and other smaller agency) and they all used their duty gun which is actually more carry friendly than a Glock 34. So even from a practical stand point you can justify all types of guns.

From a gaming stand point, you have to remember that it is in fact a game or competition. There are rules to limit the amount of modifications and to keep the cost from running overboard like in USPSA Open Division (Not a slam on Open, it's just expensive). There are also rules to make the stages and the procedure more "practical" to "real life". But it really boils down to it being different. Not better or worse than any other shooting sport. You need to pick the sport that fits you the best. If you really like shooting with a small carry gun, then look for IDPA clubs that offer Back Up Gun (BUG) side match or complete matches and only attend those. There the playing field will be leveled to those shooting a J-Frame so you won't get much of an advantage for shooting a M&P Shield or small Glock, but at least you're not trying to keep up with the guy with tricked out Glock 34.

IDPA was the first competitive shooting that I ever did and it's what got me hooked. I really enjoy shooting IDPA matches and thankfully I was given the opportunity to join the staff of a new IDPA club here in Colorado from the ground up. But I also really like shooting USPSA matches, as they offer a TOTALLY DIFFERENT type of match and hone different skills. I will shot what ever is available on my weekends off of work, because any time I get to shoot a match, it is better than not shooting. You learn something new all the time. You can choose to shoot what you carry but it's hard to judge your abilities vs someone who is there to compete at a high level. My general suggestion is to shoot a gun in competition that is similar to what you carry. I carry either an M&P9 Shield or an M&P9c, but I shoot an M&P9L in IDPA ESP Division and SSP Division. What I do at the match crosses over as the way the guns operate are the same. The larger guns shoot better and my competition gun has a lighter trigger but I'm there to compete, not handicap myself in the name of training.

Hopefully my thoughts help. They may not be in line with your beliefs, but only you can decide of IDPA is right for you.

True but would be nice to see some real events held where if the equipment cost over say a retail price of $650.00 you cant compete. Obviously this is not going to happen but would sure make for an interesting event to say the least..lol

To set a monetary value would be tough. The rules in IDPA SSP are already very strict and focused on keeping cost down as are the rules for USPSA Production. But to say that a whole subset of guns are not allowed because they are just expensive would be little limiting. Basically it would be like saying that you can only shoot a polymer frame gun or you can't play our game. But that is essentially what is done in GSSF, but even some of those Glocks would be over the $650 limit.

AS i do agree with what you are saying Fried chicken, I currently shoot a 1911 Trophy match 45acp..IT was really i guess meant to be more of a poll rather than statement i guess..And as to the carry portion to defensive pistol , yes i did kind of unintentionally get away from that aspect. sorry..

thought it would make for an interesting event to hold...kind of like the iroc series in nascar..

LOL..yes that would be true but that is a highly publicised event ..maybe a gun manufacture would step up to the plate and want to show off just how well there entry level guns really are? or arent?

Would be interesting to see the top 10 IDPA shooters from each division in the nation given an outta the box gun n ammo when they show up at a match without knowing before hand what its going to be ..

I think as far as leveling a division out they have done a pretty good job with that in ssp. Youre pretty much stuck with a striker fired poly gun for the most part. Not too many options there over $650

Im'ma chime in quick I shoot a M&P Pro 5" bought used for $500 already upgraded and use a safariland holster ($40) and a comp tac magazine holder($35) and I am top shooter at my club in SSP. Also IDPA is just a game and not even close to real life. I mean one or two targets = real life encounter 6-10 targets with running and going between cover and reloads = Combat. lol Buy the best you can afford ( S&W M&P and Glocks making up the majority for the SSP market.) Go to your club match and find the guy with the $1600 STI custom piece and beat him by over 10 seconds = priceless.... lol