Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Fitting a 1911 Barrel....

poison123

Quoting Jerry's book:

" New barrel lug depth typically measures .058-.060". Removing .002 to .003" will usually clean the surface.
Warning: In no case should lug height be reduced to less than .055". Do not cut or lower the lugs in the barrel."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha. Which book is that?

And my new barrel bushing that I can screw with will be here tomorrow. Was playing with the barrel and I think its a binding issue on the bushing at this point, but either way I think the barrel is trashed. Or at least I wouldn't trust it to be fired at this point. It was just way oversized.

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC
http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/gunsmithing-books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/jerry-kuhnhausen-the-colt-45-automatic-prod13805.aspx

Mandatory reading. And don't be so quick to dismiss the barrel. Fitting takes time and if it is still not fit that implies that there is still enough material to work with. Take some measurements against a known good barrel.

When I've got some time tomorrow I will put some measurements from the Nighthawk vs the Colt barrel for it in here tomorrow. I think at the very least I'm gonna have to rechamber it with all the material I've removed from the hood.

How did you come up with the finish dim for hood length and width? Your going to find that while all ''Gunsmith" fit barrels are oversized some are way more than others, that is not bad but it can mean a lot more time getting them fitted. You may have to ream the bushing or reduce the barrel diameter if it is binding in the bushing. You can LIGHTLY break the corners on the barrel lugs, that might help getting it unlocked. The last one I did was a bear for a couple hundred rounds now it comes out of battery nicely.

Please don't take this the wrong way but your jacking around with the most important part of the gun and I'm not sure you have enuff knowledge. I reccomend going to Jack Wiegand site and viewing his barrel fitting vids.

I hope this helps you out.

Mildot