Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor Load w/ E3 and 155's

d_striker

My .40 minor load was 3.2gr Clays with a 155gr plated bullet at 1.125". I shoot it in an XDm with a 14lb recoil spring. I love this load but can't find Clays anywhere and can't wait any longer to source some.

Has anyone used e3 for minor loads using a 155gr bullet? All the threads on here regarding e3 seem to be major loads in .40 and minor loads in 9mm.

As there isn't much published data for this powder, I need all the help I can get and fast so I can pull the trigger on the e3 before it sells out like everything else in this current climate.

Thanks!

Edited by d_striker

I'd like to hear about this too. I need to load some .40 minor for the ProAm coming up and have 8lbs of it. I have loaded if major with 180's.

I think the burden may be on you to work up a load.

For reference, 3.2gr Clays @ 1.125" in a 4.5" XDm easily makes about 130 PF. This load needs a reduced power recoil spring though for my pistol.

I tried 3.4 and 3.6 gr Titegroup last weekend with the same bullet and length and I could not make minor with it. Recoil was much snappier than my Clays load that I don't even want to bother bumping up the charge to make minor.

Based on all of the threads I read and comparing the burn rate to other fast powders, I was thinking that 3.2gr would be a good starting point with a 155gr plated bullet. I would be interested to know if it would cycle the slide and also what the velocity was. Hodgdon lists e3 as faster than Clays and Titegroup.

ETA-Well, I just bit the bullet and bought 8 lbs. I'm sure I'll find some use for it but I'm still saddened by having to find a substitute for Clays. As the saying goes though, beggars can't be choosers. It's really sad that the component situation has come to this with no signs of letting up within the next year.

Edited by d_striker

I have loaded .40 minor with it and I liked it more than Clays. Higher volume and better metering.

That's good to hear. What about recoil, or should I say lack thereof? .40 minor with Clays feels like cheating.

You can always add more. Why not start a little lower, say 2.8-3.0 and work up with a chrono? Load 5-10 chrono and check for cycling at same time. Add more if needed while paying attention to primers, brass, etc from previously fired roumds.

You can always add more. Why not start a little lower, say 2.8-3.0 and work up with a chrono? Load 5-10 chrono and check for cycling at same time. Add more if needed while paying attention to primers, brass, etc from previously fired roumds.

Now that I have it on order, that is exactly what I'll do. I was just trying to get some info before committing to 8lbs of it.

I have loaded .40 minor with it and I liked it more than Clays. Higher volume and better metering.

That's good to hear. What about recoil, or should I say lack thereof? .40 minor with Clays feels like cheating.
Edited by MarkCO

Trying to edit above but some glitch...

E3, to me, is softer than Clays for the same PF. It is faster, so I keep it in minor only.

Thanks Mark. This makes me feel better about pulling the trigger on 8lbs of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did some testing with e3 today in .40. Starting load was 3.2 grns with a RMR 180 plated at 1.135 OAL. Ave 835 FPS and functioned the gun perfectly. Then stepped it up to 3.6 grns, ave. 866 FPS with cleaner burning and more consistent. May go for 4.0 tomorrow just to see what happens but at 3.6 it is still not fully sealing the chamber and primers are round. This load is as soft as butter! Very nice load with good accuracy and clean with no smoke. I think I'm hooked.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...