Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide drops when inserting a mag

bigg_jon

I had something new happen to me at an IDPA match this weekend. Several times when I shot to slide lock, the slide would close when I slammed a new mag in. This has never happened before. Luckily, it worked ok as it stripped a new round out of the mag and chambered ok. I thought maybe it was a weak mag spring not causing the slide stop to fully engage, but then it happened on Sunday at a USPSA match as well with a fairly new 10 round mag. (I usually don't try to shoot to slide lock in USPSA matches, but a few makeup shots and some missed steel screwed up my round count. :angry: )

Anyway, is this a common thing? Is it a problem? My main concern is if it happens and causes a misfeed. By the way, I'm shooting a kimber 1911 in .45. Thank you for your help,

jon

This has happened to me fairly often, too.

I've never worried about it, as every time it has happened, it fed a round from the new mag, and saved me the trouble of hitting the slide release myself.

I also was shooting a Kimber (with a shock buff installed) when it happened.

DD

I seat mags rather sharply during competition and have had it happen often with several different pistols. Actually, with my Sig P226, I use it to my advantage by resting my thumb on the slidelock lever. The jolt from seating the mag causes the weight of my thumb to trip the lever, release the slide, and load a round in the chamber. Very fast reloads.

I have never had the slide kick forward and not strip a round from the mag. If that happened, I would be concerned. Otherwise, learn to use it to your advantage and enjoy the faster reloads.

Yah, it happens about 20% of the time with my Glock and it happened at the Nationals once this year. The problem (in that particular case) was that the slide closed before the mag was completely seated. Thankfully I realized that it didn't feel right and I racked the slide before engaging the next target.