Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hit Factor and Power Factor Connundrum

djthemac

Howdy all! I've purchased an STI eagle last November and have been shooting USPSA/IDPA since that time, and have been really enjoying the heck out of it. Over the last few months I have been stepping up my game, by getting on a dry fire and live fire shooting schedule and structuring my practices more to work on specific areas. I have won the last 2 IDPA matches at my local club, however I have been having trouble with managing hit factor and power factor.

I love shooting USPSA major, it allows me to run as fast as I can and shoot quickly but with a greater margin of error for C's shots. I shot my last IDPA match the way I shoot USPSA matches... run as fast as I can etc. I managed to do well but I also went 20 points down. I think I am rapidly approaching the point where I can shoot the match quickly but the points down are killing me to the point where I can't rely on my speed to win it. Do you guys find yourselves shooting more IDPA more slowly then USPSA? I do not want to get in the habit of looking for my shots after I fire them. Also, given that there is no bonus for shooting major vs minor, do any of the top IDPA competitors shoot with .40 S&W vs 9mm? I suppose I could also make some minor loads for IDPA, but I think shooting 9mm might be the best option.

Lots of 40 shooters in IDPA. 20 points down doesn't seem too bad to me, unless the match was 3 or 4 COFs. Sounds to me like you're on track. The phrase "shoot as fast as you can accurately" comes to mind. Good call on not looking for holes on target, learn to call your shots.

I should practice that last advice myself from time to time. :goof:

ETA: Sorry, I don't know who is shooting what at the top of the IDPA list, but locally and in some majors, I've seen a lot a 40 go downrange, usually in plastic guns.

Edited by sbcman

I shoot a Glock 35 in IDPA, loaded minor. For me I prefer only having to worry about having one type of brass, bullet, powder, dies, etc on hand, especially with the shortages now.

I find I do need to shoot IDPA at a slightly slower pace than USPSA...the points down add up very quickly.

I shoot a Glock 35 in IDPA, loaded minor. For me I prefer only having to worry about having one type of brass, bullet, powder, dies, etc on hand, especially with the shortages now.

I find I do need to shoot IDPA at a slightly slower pace than USPSA...the points down add up very quickly.

Definitely

IMHO, the speed/hit ratio for IDPA is really close to the pace of shooting Production minor as opposed to shooting Limited Major.

This is very true! My STI took a dump on me last month and was in the shop, and I ended up shooting 2 USPSA matches with a production G17. Holy crap mikes, delta's and charlies do not go far in production (or any division for that matter, but especially production).

I shot the IDPA on the third Saturday and forced myself to slow down and see the sights, and finally had my zen moment!

Edited by djthemac

I managed to do well but I also went 20 points down. I think I am rapidly approaching the point where I can shoot the match quickly but the points down are killing me to the point where I can't rely on my speed to win it. Do you guys find yourselves shooting IDPA more slowly then USPSA? I do not want to get in the habit of looking for my shots after I fire them.

It is perfectly natural to shoot IDPA more slowly -- more patiently, we might say around here -- than USPSA, because a half-second can be a pretty big penalty.

Also, given that there is no bonus for shooting major vs minor, do any of the top IDPA competitors shoot with .40 S&W vs 9mm? I suppose I could also make some minor loads for IDPA, but I think shooting 9mm might be the best option.

You can download .40, if you're really worried about it, but I don't think you'll see much difference in your times.

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

It's only slightly softer, and only slightly more expensive, but now I don't have to keep 9mm and 40 brass, bullets and powder on hand, and I don't have to empty my case feeder out and change my press around to switch from IDPA to USPSA.

IMHO, the speed/hit ratio for IDPA is really close to the pace of shooting Production minor as opposed to shooting Limited Major.

I would only agree if you typicaly shoot COF's with an average HF of 2.0. In IDPA a point is always worth 0.5 sec, in USPSA a point is often worth much less than that. If the typical HF is ~5.0 than a point is only worth 0.2 sec (i.e., you only need to shoot 0.2 sec faster to make for the one less point. Looking at the effects of TWO shots (IDPA really hammers a pair of "3's", USPSA not so much) is even a stronger difference.

USPSA tends to favor speed over accuracy, to a point. A miss is in USPSA is a HUGE impact, 15 points worth so for a HF of 5.0 you need to shoot 3 sec faster, or a HF of 3.0 you need to shoot 5 sec faster. In IDPA a miss is always 2.5 sec.

I've seen many IDPA crossover shooters run a COF with all "A's" but still finish way, way down on the stage becase some came in gave up 10% fo the points but shot 20% less time. Same token, I've seen USPSA cross over shooters just SMOKE a COF with the fastest time by far but finsih way, way down becase of points and penalities.

Bottom line, IDPA scoring favors accuracy (execpt complete misses) more so than USPSA. However, if you shoot FAST and ACCURATE you do well in both. :cheers: