Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on an open gun purchase

cjd1215

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a 9MM major from Bobby at Freedom Guns. He talked me into the 9MM major. I still think I will end up getting a 38 Super or Super Comp as well. I was unsure of the 9mm because of loading options. Great service.

I don't understand the "loading options" comment. I've been running a 9 for years and made Master with it, along with several different friends. We all used a different load. There are so many 9 major loads I can't keep up with all of them now. HS6, True Blue, Autocomp, & Silhouette, are just some of the powders. Guys are safely using 115, 121, 124 and higher grain bullets also. I know the whole "not enough options" myth is still out there getting bandied about, but from one ex military guy to another (thanks for your service by the way) it simply isn't true IMHO.

Yes, you can say there are more options in the 38's, from which I switched to 9 mm. But, to understand that as meaning there are "not enough" options in 9mm is IMHO very misleading. There are plenty of 9mm major options, plenty.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason being not it's viability, but that you can't use a slow enough powder for optimum reduction of muzzle flip. There are no N105 9mm major loads for example because you simply can't cram enough in to make major. If you shoot an N105 38 supercomp next to an HS6 9 major, there is a substantial difference in recoil assuming the setup is similar. The N105 will recoil faster and with slightly less flip.

Quite frankly, I wish there were a 9x28 open gun caliber so that I could have the same magazine capacity and use something like N135 for my major loads. Huge fireball, loudest gun ever, very minimal muzzle flip. There's a website out there that has measured quite well the effects of a slower powder in an open gun, the chart is very linear, the slower the powder, the less muzzle flip, no exception. Also, there's no such thing as too much compensation, there is no negative muzzle flip in open handguns. There is poor grip that causes the gun to recoil down past the point of aim, not negative muzzle flip

That all being said, right now I use Atlanta Arms and Ammo 38 supercomp because I don't feel like reloading. They use the equivalent of 7625 for their powder and it has a very noticeable amount more muzzle flip to me, but oh well, it can't hurt to practice building my grip.

Edited by Whoops!

Hahaha I love the "slow it down a little" He means you're shooting A's to fast and making the rest of the tacticool warriors / shooters on the range look bad

2 yrs ago he said PUTTING CMORE ON PISTOL DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE lol