Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Powder funnel E undersize ?

Hi, just got my 550 in along with .45ACP dies, loading up some 200gr lead SWC (.452"), and I'm getting some lead being forced out of the case mouth. I've reset for more bell on the cases, and backed off taper crimp and it doesn't seem to make any difference, I miked the funnel at .448" is this a little too small ? and is it "swaging" bullet diameter down ? my friend's measured .449" and my other brand of 45 dies is right at .450" is my Dillon unit undersize or do I need to make a custom piece, any and all help is appreciated.

Fred

The funnel only is there to put a flair to the brass. If the bullet is being forced out out the case, it must be at the crimping die. The crimp is only there to just take out the bell. What are your sized cases measuring to? Too small a funnel will only cause a flair issue. My dillon funnel is .50".that comes from the top of the funnel. Run some dummys and just put minimum crimp. Bullets can on be squeezed out by force. Too much crimp will distort a lead bullet and will cause terrible shooting problems. FTT and very poor accuracy.

The 45 is a low pressure load and can take over crimpimg changes w/o kaboom.Luck. Get you friends to help you.

Well, actually the powder funnel serves two purposes, as said above, it will "bell" the case for ease of bullet insertion. However, the lower part is very important in that it makes the interior dimension of the case uniform. Reason for this is that different brands, probably even different lots, of brass have different wall thickness. This means that when the sizing die reduces the external diameter of the case equally the internal diameters will differ, sometimes quite a bit. The bottom portion of the funnel then makes the internal diameter uniform which is very important as case wall tension is what should hold the bullet, not crimp. For semi autos all that is necessary is to remove the bell from the case mouth. Crimp is only useful in revolvers to prevent the bullet moving forward in the cylinder and binding it in extreme cases.

Personally, I polish the lower part of the funnel, partly to make it easier to be pulled from the case, mostly to ensure that there will be considerable case tension on the bullet.

Sounds like something is slightly mis-adjusted. What dies are you using? Does your current seat die also offer the option of crimping? Assuming that you are getting a decent bell on the case neck, sounds almost like you have a seat/crimp die that is crimping before bullet is fully seated.

Edited by wgj3

Thanks guys, it was too much crimp, the Dillon TC die has a sharper angle than my old RCBS that I was used to, just need to be a little more precise with the new one, and to answer wgj3, Dillon dies, and seat and crimp in separate stations.

thanks again, Fred