Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help to identifiy this mag tube (STI?)

tator2k

I received an extra mag tube with a P18 I purchased a number of years ago. I've since sold that gun and now purchased another one. By looking at the feed lips and the cuts on the top of this tube it doesn't look like a Para cut. (I was told this was a STI for Para) but it locks up great in my frame.

In one pic you'll see this tube next to a factory P18 to compare the cuts and angles. In the it's a top view comparing their shape. The ss tube is more rounded at the front vs. squared and blocky of the para tube.

(optical illusion, both mags are the same width and length)

Thank you for the help

post-46788-0-92085500-1366122230_thumb.j

post-46788-0-35535400-1366122241_thumb.j

I don't know for certain (somebody here will), but that fits history.

People ran STI for Para tubes in their Para's. I recall the STI version had more of a taper at the top. This made it easier to reload quickly, but might have held a round or two fewer than the actual Para tube.

Probably desirable. Don't throw it out. ;)

The feed lips are the same and hold 9mm well. Odd angle on the photo. Also the factory follower does not fit due to how the 2 lines run the length of the mag and jam it, where the tube narrows.

I owned a STI mag that was made for Para frames in .40 caliber. It looked to be just a STI tube that had the mag catch hole different. It would go into and the mag catch would latch on my SV frame but I never tried to shoot it. I believe the hole was smaller than you need for a STI frame so you could file it and use it. Best way to tell if you have a 38 or 40 tube is to look at the dimples on the side. 40 tubes are shallow on the mag catch side, 38s are deep on both sides.

The difference in STI for para tubes and STI for STI tubes is the size of the mag catch hole. An STI for STI mag will seat in a Para, but will sit about 1/8" lower than the Para tubes. They may work as is if the feed ramp geometry will allow it.

Later,

Chuck

The feed lips are the same and hold 9mm well. Odd angle on the photo. Also the factory follower does not fit due to how the 2 lines run the length of the mag and jam it, where the tube narrows.

Looks just like my STI for Para mags. You need to use an STI follower or are you using a Para follower?

Looks just like my STI for Para mags. You need to use an STI follower or are you using a Para follower?

I use Grams followers in my STI for Para tubes. Works fine...

I only have a naked tube, I tried my para follower and it doesn't fit.

So I should I try an STI rebuild kit?

Also this brings up a parallel question. I received four Para mags with the P18 I purchased, 2 were labeled together as 'works well' and the other two as 'don't work possible wrong followers, use as parts' but all had dawson basepads. Should I test to see if those followers work in this tube before I purchase something?

I use Grams followers in my STI for Para tubes. Works fine...

Thanks, I used those in the mags with my past gun. I'll take a look.

I only have a naked tube, I tried my para follower and it doesn't fit.

So I should I try an STI rebuild kit?

Also this brings up a parallel question. I received four Para mags with the P18 I purchased, 2 were labeled together as 'works well' and the other two as 'don't work possible wrong followers, use as parts' but all had dawson basepads. Should I test to see if those followers work in this tube before I purchase something?

I use Para followers in Para tubes and use Grams (for STI) in the STI tubes. I use Grams springs in all the tubes. Dawson basepads on the Para tubes.

Ok back to question #2. All 4 of the factory tubes are Gen#1 which are the shorter versions. So they will not work with a magwell and base pads. Part 2, two of the mags have .40 followers in them and don't feed 100%.

So it looks like I'll need an STI mag kit and a few new, longer, Para mags and just reuse the dawson basepads.

If you can find some, I've also had good luck with the Gram's kits. I don't think he's making them any more though, so you'll be looking for old new stock.

Google FKS-11. They are out there!

Opps, I was thinking about the Gram for para kits :)

If you can find some, I've also had good luck with the Gram's kits. I don't think he's making them any more though, so you'll be looking for old new stock.

Google FKS-11. They are out there!

Opps, I was thinking about the Gram for para kits :)

Yup, they have been out of production for years. You can use para followers on Grams springs though,,,

Are the only aftermarket followers, for Para, made by Arredondo? I have them in my P16-40 and they state they fit both.

I believe so. I was able to pick up a bunch of Para followers before Para stopped stocking them and a few Gram's kits.