Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to revolvers question.

Vash WannaBe

Hello,

I'm very new to revolvers, I only own one. It's a Taurus .357 magnum that someone gave me. I'm planning on buying another revolver. While I was looking on the internet I noticed a style that I really liked. It was a top break revolver. The only problem was the only ones like that I found were old. I'm just wondering if new revlovers are even made like that anymore? I know Taurus doesn't have any like that on their site. I figured that the top break style probably makes the revolver less accurate, but like I said, I'm very new to them. If anyone knows if they are still made like that I would love to know, and if they do, I would love a link to a website that has them.

Thank you.

That is a bit out of my area.

I'd guess that you would have trouble finding anything along the lines of a magnum with a break-top. I think the powerful loads need the strength of a solid top-strap (but, I am just speculating).

You might find a new gun, that looks like an old one...as there might be a market for that due to the Cowboy Action shooters.

What are you going to use it for?

If you are collecting - get an older one. If you like them and are just going to hit the range three times a year get a cheap Uberti or H&R reproduction and be perfectly happy.

I think there were Smith & Wesson's and some Webley's made that were top-breaks for calvary soldiers - it allowed them to unload quickly by hitting the latch and then "breaking" the barrel open on their leg to dump the spent rounds. Then they could hold the reins and load while they closed the distance or made their retreat. Some of the old Russian .44's were top break if memory serves.

For home defense and hunting the Taurus will do fine. They are solidly built and as far as I've heard they are reliable and last for a while. As for caliber, etc. that is a matter of personal preference, skill level, and a multitude of other variables. Can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson snubby in .357 for home defense (you can shoot .38 special for practice out of the same gun). The 686 would be a good dual purpose revo if you wanted to use a 3" or 4" for home defense and maybe use speedloaders for competition if you ever get interested. Model 10's are cheap and plentiful too.

For competition Taurus is missing the boat with 5-shots. You can use one but you'll be reloading twice as much as a normal revo shooter and that is a lot. A top break for competition will also be interesting for club matches but probably not allowed for sanctioned matches. For serious competition you can get a Smith and Wesson 625, 686, 610....the 625 uses moon clips for reloading and is probably the preferred model for that reason.

Welcome to the forum!