Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ive also been reading quite a few dont use the die to size, they size in a previous step and the trim die is just there to trim without sizing.

Likewise..... I'm guessing you just don't screw the die down far enough that it resizes, but you screw the trimmer down far enough to trim. Anyone wanna explain the advantages/disadvantages to using the using the die to resize vs not using it....

Edited by MIAMIbaseballer

The trim die can be used as a 1 stage trim/sizer. It works well for those doing the single stage shuffle.

Most who use a progressive do size/decap/neck expand with a do-it-all sizing die AND then trim with the trim die. About all that will happen to the case is the trim die will slightly tighten the neck diameter along with trimming. To me this is good because the neck tension is now really tight, I just expand/bell the mouth slightly and take it out after seating with a slight crimp.

jj

Ive also been reading quite a few dont use the die to size, they size in a previous step and the trim die is just there to trim without sizing.

Likewise..... I'm guessing you just don't screw the die down far enough that it resizes, but you screw the trimmer down far enough to trim. Anyone wanna explain the advantages/disadvantages to using the using the die to resize vs not using it....

For disadvantages I've read the case can spin in the trim die if not using the trim die as a sizer also. However some people do this and say they arent having any issues.

I size 75% of the neck with a sizing die first and the last 25% with the trimmer die. This gives 2 advantages, it keeps the case from spinning, and it also results in a more consistent trim length. I also expand the neck after the trimmer to control neck tension on the bullet. The result is lets me load long range ammo that is very accurate and consistent.

I size 75% of the neck with a sizing die first and the last 25% with the trimmer die. This gives 2 advantages, it keeps the case from spinning, and it also results in a more consistent trim length. I also expand the neck after the trimmer to control neck tension on the bullet.

This is where I have ended up as well from reading mainly on this forum. Seems to work well enough. When I first started, I set my progressive up for all the size was in position 1, and the trim size die would just touch the brass for the trimming operation. But ended up the cutter made contact with the inside of the trim size die because it was backed off too far. Oops, scratch one cutter blade... So that is another reason I like the 75% / 25% combo on my progressive.

One other thought I guess, I don't do any other operation to the neck after trim, at least on the progressive. I do hand deburr the necks which takes a while but is pretty easy to do in small batches when not in a hurry.

• 4 weeks later...

I size 75% of the neck with a sizing die first and the last 25% with the trimmer die. This gives 2 advantages, it keeps the case from spinning, and it also results in a more consistent trim length. I also expand the neck after the trimmer to control neck tension on the bullet. The result is lets me load long range ammo that is very accurate and consistent.

I do the same thing!

In pass 1, I use a regular sizing die in station 2 (with de-prime and ball expander). However, I have the sizing die backed out a bit so it is not sizing 100%. This leave the trim die something to hold on to... but at the same time it fixes the neck. In station 3 I swage and in station 6 I trim using the trim die and trimmer.

In pass 2, I re-size for good measure (should have nothing to do here, but do it anyway) but I have the ball expander removed because I think Dillon's ball expander's are too big (my only issue with Dillon stuff... love their stuff...). All other stations are populated normally.

• 1 month later...