Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebuild or start from scratch?

Ed Robinson

I posted about a week ago on what barrel to use on a rebuild and got some advice to scrap the rebuild. Right now I'm running an old p14 para frame with a Springfield slide(38 Supercomp) tritopped and lightening cuts, Wilson barrel with 4 port comp with Caspian shroud and Aimpoint Comp dot. It's a tired old gun. Was planning on sending it to Doug Jones for accurails and having a new barrel and comp fitted. I love the gun and shoot it well, just isn't accurate anymore. I had advice to scrap the para and start all over. I'm money ahead to rebuild the one I have unless I run into some s*#t along the way and end up wasting money when that money could have been put toward a fresh build. I guess I'm looking for advice or justification. Thanks in advance. Ed

Ed

You are going to be really pushed to get it done for this years' Cup. Personally I would rebuild it ; Accu-rails, either a Kart or Schuemman barrel and a good comp. Your shroud and scope can be reused. We use Koenig Low mass hammers matched to a Cylinder and Slide sear. A good combination that is consistent and lasts. New springs and a pin kit. Not going to cost you a fortune and you should be good to go in not a lot of time as long as you can source the bits from somewhere.

Coatesy

Ed,

Get it railed, use a 6" KKM barrel and an aluminum comp. Have the gunsmith install a jam nut behind the comp. Use the green sleeve locker locktite to hold it all together. The jam nut allows you to tighten them together so you don't have to use a screw. The aluminum comp allows the use of heavier recoil springs and the 6" barrel allows a lighter powder charge.

If you need a good gunsmith to do it, let me know.