Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock... help with set up etc...

Cundiff5535

Hello! I just picked up a Gen4 Glock 35, its bone stock. The seller included a StormLake 40-9 conversion barrel so I was pretty happy about that!

In saying that, I dont want to leave this stock...

Let me first say, I know very little about Glock. I want to take it all the way apart and make all the upgrades worth doing! Trigger, sights, etc...

I am looking for you guys for help... There are just to may options out there to start buying things... I need to buy smart and can add as I go.

First off, here is what I plan on using it for... Range shooting and fun!! I would say for me, this is like buying Mustang and making it "cool" and my own. Looks awesome, drives awesome, feels awesome... all while not spending Maserati money! Same goes for this Glock... I am not using it in competition, this will not be a carry gun, I just want to shoot very accurate and have fun at the range!

So first Sights... I will probably go with a set of Dawson sights. I am not set on that but, I have had luck with Dawson in the past! Thoughts?

Trigger... I am a little confused because when reading... it seems like there are so many things that can be changed in the trigger. I have heard that Vanek makes an awesome trigger, Zev, Glockworks, Carver... Really what can I say, I want almost no over travel and a crisp break! I guess like a 1911 (or 52)... not that I expect anything close to that realistically! I keep hearing about different: "connectors","triggers", "Springs", etc... I guess anytime I have done work to my 1911's, this wasn't part of it or, When I did the Apex trigger stuff on my M&P it just all came with the kit? Help here please!

I have read about Jager guide rods and Strikers, and specific spring kits... help here please!

I think I read through a thread that there are recoil reduction systems... I think this goes with the above parts though?

I think I would like a small magwell (nothing that I would have to use base pads with)... I think I saw one Dawson had that looked pretty decent

Oh, lastly... grip tape... any thoughts on where I can get specific Glock patterned tape?

I know this is a loaded question and everyone has their own opinions on this stuff but, all help would be great!!!

Dawson sells gen4 cut grip tape. I've had good luck with their offering. I've had poor luck with the other brand I got from brownells.

Dawson sells 2 types of adjustable rear and I prefer the more compact of the 2.

I have one of Dawson's gen4 black ice wells for large back strap. It fits well with the medium back strap I use with the grip force adapter. Being that it's my first Mag well I don't really have an opinion on it vs other options other than without a GFA I wouldn't be able to run it because it feels like it crams my grip up higher.

Personally I have no use for an aftermarket trigger group. I'd rather put that money towards feeding the gun.

I have added a Tango Down slide stop lever and mag release to all of my Glocks. With my hand size I have no problems activating them at will without breaking my grip and I don't inadvertently operate either like I did with some of the oversized competition models.

I feel I have more control over the gun in rapid fire with the Large back strap. The GFA won't fit well with the large so once the factory beaver tail becomes available I may try it out and then add one of my extended mag releases.

$.02

The best accessory for a Glock? A progressive press! Reloading doesn't save you money it just gets you more ammo for the same money. :roflol:

I like my storm lake barrel. You can shoot lead with it which means even more ammo for the money.

Choose a trigger and run it for a while. Switching up things too often puts a dent in fun while you're getting used to something different. Buying a name brand you'll be able to sell it for decent money.

There's a lot of bling out the for glocks, have fun.

The most fun I've had with my glock is competition.

There's GSSF which is a great way to find out if you like matches. All you need is your glock and a couple of boxes of ammo. You check in anytime registration is open and shoot the different stages in any order you want. Some full matches you can complete in 2 hours.

I would say visit the closest match to you whatever game their playing USPSA, IDPA, GSSF WYSIWYG and ask questions.

DNH

Trigger glockworkx fulcrum

Dawson adjustable sights

I made my own grip tape using skate tape

Extended steel guide rod

13lb recoil spring

Jager lightened extended striker

Don't need a magwell if shooting for fun but if you want a small one look at Dawson.

Shoot a thousand rounds through it. Then decide what you don't like about it. Sights, guiderod, and trigger springs give you the most noticeable improvements. And make it easier to shoot well/accurately. Then if you still want the go fast parts throw some money at it in the priority of what irks you the most.

Steve

Replacing the Glock factory sights (without even firing a shot) Is never a bad idea. I've seen too many shooters (at matches) forced to shoot sans front sight because it popped off. Since it's not a carry firearm, listen to the folks in here and also check with some of the Masters and GM's who use Glocks. I think you'll find 3-3.5lbs is going to be a concensus opinion for the trigger. The 9mm and the 40 are pretty "flat" shooting rounds so I'm not sold on adjustable sights. Any sight that the front sight gets loc-tited in is better than the Glock pop sight. I put my money in a Glock Sight Tool and have been pleased with the results. Storm Lake and KKM are two options for barrels assuming your wallet can afford to put a full race cam in that "mustang". Nice thing about it being a fun gun is the sky is the limit.

Steven 420 is dead nuts on about the trigger springs. Changing these alone (and of course getting rid of those crappy Glock sights) might make you one very happy camper.

I use my adjustable sights mostly because I can get a finite zero depending on what ammo I can get a hold of. A 6" poi change from 115gr to 145gr isn't something I like winging because I have fixed sights.

If I had a manufacturer providing my regular training & competition ammo, or I had unfettered access to my projectile & powder of choice for my pet load then I could better accept fixed sights.

As for my above comments on mag well. I'm about done with that experiment. I caught my salute finger between that magwell & the dawson mag extension during a speed reload and it was like smashing my finger with a hammer. 2 days later & it's still sore as hell.

Edited by dzhitshard

I am half considering resellling most stock parts and sending this to Zev for a full makeover... Slide cuts ,frame work, trigger barrel, etc... Thoughts??

It's an individual choice. For me, 75-85% of the fun comes from doing what work (on the firearm) I can for myself. I do have the luxurey of living in an area where I have ready access to Glock Armorers (pick their brains) and any number of good professional gunsmiths. And it helps that most of us are shooting buddies. If I do "get in trouble", since we play the same games (USPSA and IDPA), they are willing to help me correct my fubars.

Just one thought on barrels for Glocks. Of all the reason to change the barrel, getting a barrel with traditional "rifling" makes Glock, lead compatable, if you are so inclined.

Edited by Tom C

Don't encourage him Cundiff. He's a train wreck, don't SLOW traffic down to look at how bad it is...

if you want to send the slide off to get it cut, that's your business. I like doing the internal work myself. But I like to tinker. To each his own. As long as your having fun that's all that matters.

Steve

Ok, I'm gonna be the Gorilla in the room to remind everyone of afew forum guidelines.....I violated a few getting my feet on the ground so I'm no angel...

Guidelines

Welcome to Brian's Forums!

We’ve found the following guidelines indispensable in keeping the Forum enjoyable, informational, and just a fun place to hang out.

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

Thread Titles

When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title. For example: Use –

"Failure To Extract in .40 caliber single stack"

Instead of –

"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

Topic Search

Especially if you're new, please do a search before starting a new thread. (I searched the entire Forum for "shok buff" - it quickly found over 30 matches from various forums.) For detailed search tips, see the "Search Tips & General New Member Info" forum at the top of the forum's home page. Also check the FAQ’s, which are pinned at the top of their respective forums.

Restricted Content

Politics

Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

• USPSA vs IPSC

• IPSC vs IDPA

• STI vs SVI

• Limited 10 vs Limited Division

• This Division vs That Division

• This Government vs That Government

• Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

And note that your post, avatar, and anything in your signature represent you, and your relationship with the Forum's Guidelines.

Edited by Tom C

Yeah, Tom you are right.. let's all just cool it. This should be an enjoyable place for everyone... No one needs to be attacked etc... Let's please return to the topic at hand, if you are not commenting on the tgead topic, let's just leave it alone.

I just dropped in a Travis Haley Skimmer trigger and while I was not Wowed by it, I think I am going to give it some time to grow in me. It has almost zero pre-travel and a very short reset, which I like, and the break is very crisp as well. The negative I have on it is the pull weight is quite heavy. Good for a carry gun, but not so much so for a competition 34. I am going to shoot it a bunch tommorow and see if I adjust to it. It is not a bad trigger by any means, just a bit stiffer than I am used to and maybe to stiff to keep. We'll see. If I send it back, I may try the Vogel and see how it runs. I would get a Vanek, but he is not shipping at the moment.