Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield TRP Sight Swap

JonSnow

Hi all, I have a Springfield TRP that came with fixed night sights. After shooting a P16 Limited, I’ve come to really like the flat rear sight blade and FO front sight and I wanted to set up my TRP the same way. Problem is, I can’t seem to get the existing sights loose. I’ve removed the set screw in the rear sight, put it in my vise and tried drifting it out left to right, but it won’t budge. My brass punch is starting to mushroom, so I don’t think I’m not hitting it hard enough. The font sight is another matter. I can see there’s a roll pin that’s holding it in place, but I don’t have a punch small enough to remove it. That will be tonight’s project but I’d love some advice on what to do about the stuck rear sight.

They are tight and usually have loctite on the dovetail. I use a sight pusher, so its never been an issue. Another note is that the dovetail cut is smaller than the sight base, so you'll most likely need to file some of the sight base to get the sight to fit. I fit mine probably tighter than the factory.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Quack

As John stated. I know it may feel wrong but in this case its ok. You need a bigger hammer to break that loctite. Maybe try a little heat if you feel comfortable with that but don't get carried away.

Ok, so I've tried a steel punch and a 2lb dead-blow hammer. I'm hitting it as hard as I can. I've soaked it in Kroil to break anything free if needed, I've taken calibers to the dovetail and the replacement sight and both sides are the same on each, I've tried hammering both directions and using calipers to see if I'm making progress and it will not move. I haven't tried heat yet and will this weekend but otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

When you get frustrated stop what your doing other wise you'll ding up or scratch your slide. I'm just saying so you don't do what i did lol. Good luck with removing the sight.

Edited by R1valdez

Jon

Be cautious with that heat. Make sure it is a controllable source you can focus. I have a small tip propane torch that I use if my big soldering iron won't get it done. You want to be very careful with heat transfer.

Also please fully disassemble the slide before you put heat to it. Heat does be things to small parts and small springs. You probably already did that, but just in case...

You will get some smoke and flash from the kroil. Just don't be surprised. I was the first time I did this to a Rock Island 1911.

If your dead blow hammer is same as mine it is a soft face shot filled affair. Before trying heat I would hit it with a 2 pound solid face hammer. Those tend to work better jarring stuff loose for me. YMMV

At this point pick a direction and stick with it. Drive right out usually works to me. That avoids raising burrs that complicate the job.

Hit the sight low and parallel to the dovetail. It will move unless it is silver soldered or welded.

Good luck. You can do this

Did you find a drift punch for the font roll pin? I really like the replaceable starter punches from brownells. I have the 3 punch set now. Wish I would have bought it long ago.

I did the same a few weeks back. Brass Punch and a big metal hammer worked to get he old sights out. A very, very light filing was required on the sight to get the new one in followed by a light hammer and the same brass punch.