Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SL-900 powder spillage?

Hello: Since Dillon is so busy right now and I can't seem to get them on the phone. I thought I would ask about powder spillage on my SL-900. It seems to be alot for only 100 rounds of 12 gauge. My other Dillon's don't spill any powder. Here are some pics of the spillage using Hodgdon Clays. I did notice that the powder funnel/expander has chatter marks inside it which could be holding the powder? I also need some other parts for the press as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-0-12969000-1364918288_thumb.jp

post-9254-0-28764300-1364918297_thumb.jp

I find that with the flake powders, it happens a lot. What is happening is the powder falls out after the hull has moved on. Not sure if it is static or what but I have found I can minimize it if I adjust the powder drop down.

I recently tried some WInchester Superhandicap and it has been very clean. I think the spherical powders will do better but I love Green Dot so I will likely put up with it. Keep the compressed air handy :)

Hello: With the shortage of powder right now I hate to waist any. I am also loading some up for junior shooters for the ATA AIM program so cutting down on spillage is a must :cheers: I love Hodgdon Clays for 45acp and don't spill any there on a RL1050. Just trying to solve the problem. I have the SL-900 all apart right now to clean it up and see if I can solve the problem. Hopefully someone at Dillon can help? Thanks, Eric

cling free anti static spray sprayed on a dryer sheet wrapped around the powder hopper...and I also lightly spray the cases in the case feeder. The plastic cases hold a lot of static...if I don't do this stuff the powder (clays and universal clays) jumps around like bugs...

jj

JJ: I appreciate the info since I can't get ahold of Dillon yet. It is very dry here in Albuquerque so that may be some of the problem. Does your powder funnel have ridges in it from bad machining? Going to try Universal Clays next for some 20 gauge 3/4oz loads as soon as I can find some :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I could never get ahold of Dillon on the phone for 3 weeks( busy signal, 2 hour wait and no answer) so I had to order the parts online I need that should be warranty items :mellow: I have had great service in the past, not so much this time. I do understand they are very busy but you would think they would put more people on the phones. Thanks, Eric