Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer 230 gold dot load data

sersig1

Hello everyone, new to reloading 45 acp I have a few boxes of speer 230 gr. Gold Dots looking for a good home defense load. Nothing to soft, will be shooting it out of a full size Kimber. Powders preferred are power pistol, WSF, 231. Any and all data is appreciated.

For home defense, self defense or whatever, I'd suggest factory loads. This is what all the professionals recommend as it removes one thing some ambulance chaser could use against you in court if you had to shoot an intruder.

Edited by Steve RA

For home defense, self defense or whatever, I'd suggest factory loads. This is what all the professionals recommend as it removes one thing some ambulance chaser could use against you in court if you had to shoot an intruder.

Agree Stay away from using "home brewed" loads for your SD carry load. Not a good idea

Hello everyone, new to reloading 45 acp I have a few boxes of speer 230 gr. Gold Dots looking for a good home defense load. Nothing to soft, will be shooting it out of a full size Kimber. Powders preferred are power pistol, WSF, 231. Any and all data is appreciated.

Ok this comes up a lot. For all those saying do not use reloads because you will look bad in court or be sued. Show me one case where that has happened. I have not seen it in my 13 years on the job nor heard of it outside of internet conjecture.

That said I recommend factory ammo for self defense because they use flash retardant powders, they seal the primers so their more water resistant and are generally more reliable than most peoples reloads. Also I recommened cycling out your carry ammo or self defense ammo at least once a year. The problem is the rounds that get chambered. Try to avoid chambering the same round more than a few times depending on the caliber. You can get bullet set back and I have seen it cause KB's in .40 caliber weapons.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• 1 month later...

I agree that factory loads should be used for self defense. I suggest that you consider 230gr Gold Dot HPs for your carry gun and reload your Gold Dot bullets as close to the factory rounds as you can get for practice. I use 6.5 gr of WSF under 230 gr plated bullets for practice. I don't have a chronograph but that load shoots pretty close to the factory load accuracy and recoil-wise.

Ok this comes up a lot. For all those saying do not use reloads because you will look bad in court or be sued. Show me one case where that has happened. I have not seen it in my 13 years on the job nor heard of it outside of internet conjecture.

I completely agree with this statement. In addition, if you are using all new quality components and loading concientiously I see no reason why you can't carry what you load. I would trust my custom tailored and cronoed loads over factory anyday and if you wanted to seal the primers and crimp that's easy enough to do.