Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure what to call it... but its a Jam

Rush

Hi to all...

My gun has suddenly decided to be finicky... during practice... it suddenly started jamming... The spent casing was jammed in the between by the slide and barrel at the ejection port and the next round couldn't get past it but was stovepiped halfway... I don't exactly know what type of jam its called....

Its functioned flawlessly until now... its in 38 super, STI frame/slide, uses a schuemann barrel, extended ejector with an aftec extractor... I'm gonna take the aftec out and clean it along with the extractor tunnel... but i don't think that's what caused it...

I fired maybe 30 rds right after the stage in rapid and slow fire but wasn't able to duplicate it.... any ideas?

Thanks in advance and Regards to all...

Rush

clean extractor tunnel, check aftec spring tension,check firing pin stop for proper play and breakage, check aftec hook for proper contour and wear,check breechface for pitting,and polish breechface, mine look like a mirror. is brass case rim worn and flattened from wear, disallowing aftec hook to get a proper grasp of rim for ejection? is ejector tip broken? or is ejector loose? B)

Thanks... cleaned the aftec and the extractor tunnel out.. alot of crud left in there somehow ^_^

I checked ejection with a full mag, 20 rds and hand cycled it... no problems.. but going to take it the range today to see if it does it again... did notice that when playing with dummy rounds in it, there was one particular "dummy" it could not get a grip on that had a thinner case rim than the others that it couldn't pull properly...

if it acts up again, gonna replace the aftec springs... the extractor itself looks fine.. but havn't checked the breachface yet (",)

I'll post on how the range tests go.. this is a really great forum and thanks lots for the tips

Kind Regards,

I call that the death jam. Meaning you have to drop the mag, rack, reseat the mag, rack, and then finally get back to the shooting.

I fixed that with new aftec springs. I bought 4 more springs to carry around with me ... good luck.

yeah.. it happened twice on the same stage... dropped the mag, rack, new mag, click.... rack... wouldn't you know it, some 6 rds later, the same thing happens again.... go figure...

just came from the range, tried to make it jam up again, and after around 60 rds of slow and rapid fire... no jam... so guess its ok for now... got a clubmatch this weekend so hoping it doesn't act up there... i'll bring my extra aftec springs with me though (",)

did notice a new thing though, my casings are ejecting all over the place and not consistently in one spot? Are the casings hitting something on the way out? they fall anywhere in the distance of 3-6 meters away....

don't think its the recoil spring. using a light RM and the spring that came with it... Checked the ejector and its not loose...

Thanks again everyone...

Regards,

I'm currently having the same problem with my CZ but in my case I think the problem is that the next round in the mag is being carried forward by the slide and bumps the empty case off the extractor. I just replaced all my mag springs and I'll see if it helps.

Vlad

I'm currently having the same problem with my CZ but in my case I think the problem is that the next round in the mag is being carried forward by the slide and bumps the empty case off the extractor. I just replaced all my mag springs and I'll see if it helps.

Vlad

IIRC, Ron Ankeny posted this kind of problem before. Can't remember exactly if a fix was discussed.

I think the new mag springs fixed it. I just shot about 300 rounds with two powder loads and two different lengths (for a combo of 4 different loads) and I had only one of the failure during the first mag shot. I wonder if the problem is that weak mag springs allow top round to be pushed forward by the bottom of slide. I also tightened up the feed lips a bit. I think the slight change of geometry and the higher upwards pressure are the solution for me. I'll let you know if the problem comes back during this weekend'd match.

Vlad

Hi to all....

it just happened again in my clubmatch... :(

going to try something new.... gonna re-tune the ejector as the brass seems to be hitting the scope mount.. going to see if i can flatten out the trajectory of the exiting brass to a near horizontal plane...

just visited Bob Londrigan's site on his tip to tune the extractor and ejector... much thanks to Bob for his article on it :) i hope its what's causing the jams and i can finally get back to my normal pace of shooting instead of getting PO'd...

the jams would happen on very quick splits (0.12)... I'll do this all at the range.. post back when I get done with it today and update you on how it went..

Vlad.. glad to know you've got your cz fixed... i hope i have better luck with mine... :)

Regards,

If the problems just began, I don't know if I would monkey with the ejector. The ejector is the consistent part of the equation, because it is fixed and dosen't really wear.

If you replaced your aftec springs, and it is still acting-up, I would start looking for burrs /crud on the breech face (not letting the round slide far enough down to get ejected straight out) or a dirty / sticky / scratched chamber (not allowing the round to smoothly extract / eject) Did you change powder / loads when the problems started? Sometimes powder choice / brass choice can effect function in the ol'foo-foo gun.

it just started happening about two to three weeks ago..

nope.. didn't change my load... but i didn't replace my aftec springs either... just cleaned out the extractor tunnel and the aftec...

w/c reminds me that I should try and replace the aftec springs as welll .. :D

so replace the springs... and check/file the ejector because of the incinsistent fall of the casings... (anywhere between 3-6meters)... where's that file kit again? (",)

this foo-foo gun has less than 5000 rds thorough it... I only got it last May... w/c still puts me out of sorts at times because my old foo foo gun had something like close to 50k rds through it and it never gave me problems.... :angry:

alternativele.. i could get the ejector from the old foo-foo gun and use that in the new gun (", ) and i just may do that...... :D

Regards,