Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A break though...

Ron Ankeny

Well, I finally got through the mental barrier that I built up surrounding my draw times. Guess what, I am not slow.

I hit a couple of pretty good times at fairly decent yardage and I thought, gee I am fast. I did it over and over with the attitude of "this is easy". Things came together as soon as I got out of my own way.

TWO good breakthroughs for the SiG Lady today (and last week):

1.) Last week my Sig Sauer front sights and I had a little meeting of the minds and we figured out how to shoot (finally).

2.) Today one of the top three league teams at our range asked me to fill in for a missing team member this season. Couldn't have asked for a nicer birthday present.

And I wasn't even planning on doing winter league this season... but with an invite like THAT one...?? Whoa, no way was I turning that down!

PS--A handful of my LEO buds (and LEO wannabe's or almost's) later threw me a dinner b'day party... complete with gifts... including some hard-to-get carry ammo.

(Edited by SiG Lady at 7:11 am on Jan. 5, 2003)

SigLady

I was wondering what does your winter league shoot for courses of fire?  I ask because the league that I am in we shoot 2 NRA 50 foot slow fire targets with 5 rounds each at 7, 15 and 25 yards.  After 2 leagues and 20 weeks it gets a little boring.  Granted I am not that great at it but boring just the same.

DB101--

Well, let's see if I can explain it...

We have distance options of 7yds-to-50ft in the one range area with 13 booths (We have a smaller range area adjacent--5 booths--with distances of 75ft but it's too small to hold the crowd and get us all through the match in time in two hours). We have a selection of 20-some-odd paper targets at our disposal. The range owners and RO's set us up with three pair of target challenges each week, with their call on the options of distance, physical positions (standing, prone, kneeling, one-handed [strong or weak]), lights on or off, alternating targets, targets turned backwards, targets cut in half placed in reverse, moving targets (forward and back on the trolleys--sometimes the shooter moves 'em sometimes a partner will do it), rapid-fire (4-10 seconds) or slow-fire (30-70 or so seconds), and free high-quality refreshments between rounds. The thing is, none of us know AT ALL what configurations are coming up--EVER! We wing it. We group up in teams of about four or five and usually the Lewis System scoring method is used. No cash prizes (we pay to participate and bring our own ammo), but a liberal quantity of team and individual trophies are awarded with each season's session conclusion--at the sumptuous potluck league awards banquet. It's fun, and we usually have anywhere from 75-85 total participants over three nights of each week during the seven-week session.

It's the constant element of surprise with each round that beats the potential boredom. Nobody has acted bored YET at our league sessions, believe me. :)

Does that help...?

SigLady,

This helps greatly.  I will print this out and give it to the club president and see if we can implement some of these in our next league.  Thanks for the infomation and if anyone else has any other ways they shoot leagues I would like to hear from them.

• 2 weeks later...